Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #41  
Where? Last tires I got were cheap Falken AT 265/75-16. They were about $800. The previous Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac had jumped to about $1300... Not even big tires, just stock size...

Just checked America Tire for BFG AT 265/75-16E; $965 out door locally(N Calif).

Also, @Chris, jeez, what kind of tires are you buying?? My E-rated BF Goodrich ATs cost $750 cash out the door. Michelin's were 1200. Those are 235/85/16s for my f-250.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #42  
So have you thought about a low mileage used truck? Since it sounds like you don't use it much you really don't need to go new. With a little looking around I would think you could go from your diesel to a few year newer 1/2 ton breaking even. Plus with a slightly used truck you can get a much better sense as to how reliable it will be. I've always had good luck with Toyotas. They may not get the best mpg but I'll give up a a little mileage for not having to do some of the routine work other brands require.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #43  
I just went through the same process as you...
I sold my camper and 2003 F350 4x4 dually crew cab and replaced it with a 2007 2500 HD Chevy...
I did not look at new trucks and found a good value in this unit...
Around here a good late model used 1/2 tons are bringing mint prices...
When I retire in the next 5 or so years I will go with an Ecoboost 1/2 ton...
Like Chris said the only 1/2 ton drawback is the payload...
Manufacturers have made great strides increasing the towing capacity and reliability of 1/2 tons the past 5 years...

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #44  
Where? Last tires I got were cheap Falken AT 265/75-16. They were about $800. The previous Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac had jumped to about $1300... Not even big tires, just stock size...

Just checked America Tire for BFG AT 265/75-16E; $965 out door locally(N Calif).

Discount Tires in Lacey Washington. Same as America's tire. Sale price the day after Thanksgiving plus cash discount. Guess it was two years ago now, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #45  
Here is my take.

I own a 2006 F350 diesel and a 2012 F150 Ecoboost.

F350 gets 17 mpg average. Fuel is $3.95 per gallon. Oil change every 5000 miles per the manual since it's used to only tow, severe duty, and cost $80. Tires are $1600 and last 35,000 miles. So cost per mile to operate is: $.295 per mile.

F150 gets 18 mpg average. Fuel is $3.10 per gallon. Oil changes every 7500 miles also per the manual the way I use it, mainly as a tow vehicle, 30% as a computer vehicle. The cost is $40 for a oil change. Tires last 60,000 miles and cost $1200. So the cost per mile is: $.197 per mile.

Pretty clear cut.

Chris

Repost for Dodge Man so he can see I posted my numbers.

Chris

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described?
For anyone interested, we bought a 2015 Chevy 2500 4wd crew cab with the 6.0L gas engine and 6.5' bed, back in December 2014. I've had it about 14 months now and I think it was a good choice. The chassis, brakes etc. are all comfortable towing the same 3-horse slant load gooseneck trailer that we had before and still have. Gas mileage isn't great - we can hit maybe 16mpg with no trailer at a steady 55 or so, but around town is 11-12 and towing the horse trailer is 10-11 at moderate speeds and 9 or even a bit less at 70mph. Not good, but within our expectations. (Current gas prices, that I never expected to see again, are appreciated.)

The possible switch to a smaller trailer is on the back burner. If we had already made that switch then a 1/2 ton probably would have been a good choice, but towing the 3-horse with the 3/4 ton gas I really wouldn't want a 1/2 ton to try and pull it.

Another positive is that the Chevy has a payload rating around 2700lbs. Since my wife doesn't always consider the weight of stuff she wants to put in the bed, this greatly decreases the chance of overloading the truck.

Compared to the Dodge we had before, ride quality is FAR better, a combination of longer wheelbase, independent front suspension, and slightly larger tires. Going from a quad-cab (extended cab) Dodge with a 5'9" bed to a full crew-cab with a 6.5' bed has also been interesting in terms of difficulty in parking. It's a long truck.

The Nissan Titan XD that just came out would have been a top pick if it had been around when we were buying, but it wasn't.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #47  
Good to hear you found one you like and is serving you well! Congrats

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #48  
For anyone interested, we bought a 2015 Chevy 2500 4wd crew cab with the 6.0L gas engine and 6.5' bed, back in December 2014. I've had it about 14 months now and I think it was a good choice. The chassis, brakes etc. are all comfortable towing the same 3-horse slant load gooseneck trailer that we had before and still have. Gas mileage isn't great - we can hit maybe 16mpg with no trailer at a steady 55 or so, but around town is 11-12 and towing the horse trailer is 10-11 at moderate speeds and 9 or even a bit less at 70mph. Not good, but within our expectations. (Current gas prices, that I never expected to see again, are appreciated.)

I'd take 16 MPG for local driving with a 3/4 4WD. I'd also take 11-12 towing a load like that at those speeds. Looks like you may have made a good choice for longevity. I just stumbled across this little article and it looks like Ford F250 and Chevy 2500 are at the top of the list for potential 200k mile vehicles. The Top Vehicles That Make It Over 200,000 Miles - What Cars Last 200,000 Miles

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #49  
I'd take 16 MPG for local driving with a 3/4 4WD. I'd also take 11-12 towing a load like that at those speeds. Looks like you may have made a good choice for longevity. I just stumbled across this little article and it looks like Ford F250 and Chevy 2500 are at the top of the list for potential 200k mile vehicles. The Top Vehicles That Make It Over 200,000 Miles - What Cars Last 200,000 Miles

He's only getting 11 mpg day to day. He said on a road trip at 55 he could maybe get 16 mpg.

Chris

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #50  
While a Diesel adds $8k or so at purchase over a 1/2 ton gasser. From what I see the Diesel will be worth about that same $8K more when it is a used truck 1-10 years later. You have to consider that also if you consider it upfront.

That has generally been true before the new emissions laden stuff came along. Now that there is a lot more complexity and things that can really deplete a bank account to repair on the new diesels, I have not been convinced yet that resale values will hold quite as well as they have in the past. It might for those who are diesel novices, but those that deal with them on a regular basis, not so much. On my own experience, I would not buy a used, emissions equipped pickup diesel unless I was certain of the owner, how they used it, how they maintained it, and the maintenance records on it. So for me, if you bought a new diesel pickup, and I didn't know all of these things, then if you tried to sell it to me, you might not even get what I would pay for a used gasser version. Depends on the buyer. But some will pay the resale spread you mention, as there are some who feel that diesel elevates their testosterone level. They have to make up for it somewhere.