Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
I'm looking to buy a new truck and need some guidance on whether to get another 3/4 ton or go to a 1/2 ton. I don't want to just knee-jerk buy a heavier duty truck, because over 90% of the time this truck will be used like a car, not doing heavy work.

Details: my wife has two horses, which are ridden occasionally (not every week). Back in 2006 we bought her a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 and a 3-horse slant load gooseneck trailer. That trailer weighs about 5000lbs empty and maxes out around 10k fully loaded, but is rarely used over 8k or so. The Dodge has a tow rating of 12k with a gooseneck hitch, so we've never even come close to straining it. You don't even notice a 5k trailer while driving, and even at 10k it's not too bad.

For various reasons we are looking at selling/trading that trailer and downsizing a bit, probably to a 3-horse bumper pull type trailer, which weighs around 4k empty and would max out around 8500 loaded, but rarely be used at more than 6500, and most often at just 5300 or so (one horse and some tack). The new trailer will have electric brakes like the current one and we will get a quality brake controller. We will get a weight-distributing hitch if that's indicated, which it most likely will be.

Our Dodge/Cummins has been awesome for power and highway cruising, but it's also been awesome for the mechanic and the dealership, who have together received something like $12-15,000 from us in repair bills since it went off warranty in 2009. This is a truck with only 75k miles and only about 4-5k of those have been towing anything over a ton! None of these repairs are from accidents, all are supposedly from either routine operation and wear, or not being used enough and supposedly wearing out from sitting (!). (There was a year or two when the truck was only driven about once a week, occasionally even less, because of newborn children.) We're tired of repairs, and we're ready for a new truck with a warranty. Our current 3/4 ton is the only heavy duty truck we've owned, and it's been expensive. I had a 1/2 ton Suburban for 5 1/2 years and it had no repairs other than normal wear and tear like I'm used to with cars (one set of tires, one set of brakes, not much else). It didn't do any towing but otherwise was used harder than the truck.

Whichever size truck we get we're leaning towards Chevy, but would consider Ford, Dodge, or Toyota. Brand is not my focus right now.

I'm hoping you can help me out on three things:

1) Will one of the current 1/2 ton pickups rated for 10k or more in towing be adequate for use that is probably 90% grocery-getter, 8% towing 6500lbs or less, and 2% towing 8500lbs?

2) Hypothetically, if you used a truck only as a car (4 passengers + a couple hundred pounds of stuff), would a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton have less repairs and maintenance? (I know the 1/2 ton is likely to use less gas, and we are probably doing a gasoline engine this time.)

3) For the mix of use I described, will we have noticeably lower maintenance and repair costs with a 1/2 ton style pickup than with a 3/4 ton, or vice versa, or about the same?

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #2  
Ok here's my decision.
I bought a 2011 Ford F150 with ecoboost new in 2011. Unit is supercab, 61/2' bed, tow package without heavy haul or heavy tow option. I drive to work '25 miles' and some city driving. I average 19.4 mpg doing this. Have done 23 mpg freeway at 60-65.
I tow a 10,000# rated trailer with tractor and loader and usually 1 attachment. Trailer varies between 7,600# abd 8,200# loaded. The truck drives vary well with this and the factory brake controller works almost as well as air brakes on semi trucks. " I have about 1.5 millon doing this." It's a little hard to believe it's a v-6 gas engine. Most of my hauls were 20 to 30 miles taking care of peoperty.
I decided to take tractor to Arizona to work on property I bought there last year. Trailer was 8,500# and combination weight was 14,700# which is the max that this pickup is rated for. Ofcourse a weight distribution hitch was used. Truck rode smooth and went up hills easily. Downshifts to hold speed a little more than I prefer going downhill, but with the right brake controller setting it did a very good job. Just remember that without a Jake all you have are your service brakes,Don't use them up!
Fuel economy was best tank of 12.8 and trip average of 12.4mpg. Not as good as a diesel, but the fuel costs less as does the truck. Oil consumption was maybe 1/ 16 of an inch on dipstick for 1,400 miles from NW Oregon to Scottsdale, Az.
The only change I would make is to get heavy haul package as you hit rear axel rating without much of a load, 1,400# I think. Probably 90% of my use is empty or very light loads, usual pickup stuff. This truck rides well empty, engine is very quiet, and decent fuel economy. That's what I bought it for and it has worked out well so far. No repairs except for service in 30,000 miles.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #3  
I think you'll be fine with a half ton based on your uses. I have a 2013 1/2T Ext cab Chevy with a 5.3L and a tow rating of 9600 lb. 6 spd. auto. Loaded with options. Most of my truck use is 90% grocery getter / back and forth to work and 10% towing. local / city MPG is 17. Highway about 20-21 MPG. Towing 12-13MPG. My trailers have the capacity of 10,500 lb. but I don't max them out due to the 1/2T rating. Smooth riding. I was considering buying a used 1T with the capacity to tow my trailers when maxed out but can't justify another truck for the 10% I'd need it. A 3/4T will have bigger brakes, frame, suspension, tires, and cost more for repairs but again, for your uses (only 10% towing) a 1/2T will do the job.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #4  
I don't know what your "city driving" experience is like, but that is one of the biggest effect on me.
I bought a 12,000 GVWR rated Hudson equipment trailer when I bought my B7610 in 2009. Only started using the trailer last year. Bought a 2002 F350 dually 7.3 in 2012 to haul the trailer and stuff to where we are retiring in Mississippi and to eventually use around there. On only 1 trip so far have I pushed the 10K plus boundary. But I could, with no worry.

To answer your questions:
1) Will one of the current 1/2 ton pickups rated for 10k or more in towing be adequate for use that is probably 90% grocery-getter, 8% towing 6500lbs or less, and 2% towing 8500lbs?
I expect EASILY.
2) Hypothetically, if you used a truck only as a car (4 passengers + a couple hundred pounds of stuff), would a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton have less repairs and maintenance? (I know the 1/2 ton is likely to use less gas, and we are probably doing a gasoline engine this time.)
No tellin'. Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with you 2006 Dodge. On my Ford I've had to have an alignment, brakes, wipers, and a U joint. In my metro home I wouldn't use a truck for that stuff, I use a VW TDI.
3) For the mix of use I described, will we have noticeably lower maintenance and repair costs with a 1/2 ton style pickup than with a 3/4 ton, or vice versa, or about the same?
My BIL has a GM dually that has been plagued w/ electrical gremlins from birth. He replaced it with a 2006 Dodge diesel and has reported virtually no problems.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #5  
In my opinion, a lot of the extra cost from your Dodge was probably because it was a 3/4 ton and has nothing to do with it being a diesel. When I redid my rear brakes, it was near $500 in just parts and I did all the work. My point being if you don't do a lot of the work on a vehicle your self, I can see how the maintance on a heavy duty vehicle can get to you. I think you can get by with a 1/2 ton and maybe save a little bit on maintance in the long run.

I will also add that if your current truck is in good shape, they are in very high demand. Pre emission 5.9 Cummins powered trucks sell for crazy high prices. Without knowing anything about your truck, I'd say the value is closer to $30,000 than $20,000, so you should come out good on a trade in.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #6  
I guess that I'll add that my main ride is a VW TDI. About 45mpg overall and have hit 50mpg on freeway in warm weather. Off topic, but in the city pickups don't make much sense in my opinion. Straight city driving does hurt F150 mpg. Too many stoplights!

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described?
In my opinion, a lot of the extra cost from your Dodge was probably because it was a 3/4 ton and has nothing to do with it being a diesel. When I redid my rear brakes, it was near $500 in just parts and I did all the work. My point being if you don't do a lot of the work on a vehicle your self, I can see how the maintance on a heavy duty vehicle can get to you. I think you can get by with a 1/2 ton and maybe save a little bit on maintance in the long run.

I will also add that if your current truck is in good shape, they are in very high demand. Pre emission 5.9 Cummins powered trucks sell for crazy high prices. Without knowing anything about your truck, I'd say the value is closer to $30,000 than $20,000, so you should come out good on a trade in.

I should clarify. The diesel engine and transmission has been trouble-free. Oil changes are pricey with 3 gallons of oil, but no repairs have been needed. It seems like the front suspension has been entirely rebuilt (on this year and model the front is a solid axle) in stages, and that's where a lot of the money went. Brakes and an assortment of driveline joints have been much of the rest. My reason for not buying another diesel is a combination of the post-07 emissions equipment and the huge additional price for the option, when we really don't haul very often.

I did a quick KBB lookup and I'm amazed at the current market value - yeah, $10k higher than I was expecting. Cool. This should be a relatively less painful vehicle switch.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #8  
I've been using my Dodge 1/2 ton hemi much the same way. We have a three horse aluminum gooseneck and it pulls it easily in the hills in southern Indiana.
I think any of the new 1/2 ton's properly equipped would be fine.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #9  
If looking at GM 1/2 tons consider a 5.3 with HD trailer package 3.73 gears) or one equipped with 6.2 and 8 speed which they just released. Gas mileage will be very respectable and have a tow rating close to 12000#.

/ Am I better off getting a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, for uses described? #10  
I think any 1/2 ton truck would work just fine for you. I'm personally an Ecoboost man because it gives you the best of both worlds. Towing 7,000# I get 12.5 mpg and 10,500# it turns in mid 8's.

With any 1/2 ton watch the payload. It's on the door sticker. Mine is 1,850# but some brands are as low as 800#.

Put 4 adults in and you have no payload left for trailer tongue weight or stuff in the bed.

Chris