Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #2  
:D

i-qhqzcBV-L.jpg

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel
Garandman - I had not idea that the Cruze came in diesel. Nice looking car.....Congrats!

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #5  
That may hold true for cars, but today's truck diesels are unreliable and expensive to run. Around me, diesel costs 50 cents more at the pump than gasoline. Also, oil changes are 2-3 times more expensive. Many people buy diesels to get bragging rights.

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #6  
I own a diesel truck, I just looked up the price of the extra 5 quarts of oil it takes over a gas power vehicle. Amsoil, which is about the most expensive oil I could find would be another $40 for that 5 quarts. This is assuming 7 quarts for a gas vehicle vs 12 quarts for my Cummins. My Cummins also says it can go 15,000 miles between oil changes when most gas vehicles say 7,500 miles and just think of all the money I save on spark plugs! Sorry, its one of my pet peeves is when I read about how expensive an oil change is for a diesel, its a valid point but I'm guessing in overall cost of ownership the oil change cost is a non issue.

I've owned several 1/2 ton gas trucks, use several gas trucks at work, and own a 3/4 ton diesel. In my opinion the cost of ownership between a 3/4 ton diesel and gas truck is a wash. That's just a gut reaction on my part, no real world numbers. I think parts for a 3/4 ton are somewhat higher, but that has nothing to do when comparing gas and diesel. \

I'd think the above study would put this issue to bed but people will continue to argue about it.

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #7  
Lets not forget diesel fuel filters, gelled diesel fuel and transmission oil filters. How about non warranty emission system work just past the magic 100,000 miles mark. As far as longevity, a gasser going 300,000 miles is a common event. gas or diesel at 300,000 miles the frame and body will be rusted through with salt anyways. Last time I checked diesel cost more than gasoline at the pumps.

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #8  
You couldn't give me any of the current diesel trucks with all that emissions junk on them that can fail at the drop of a hat and leave you with thousands in repair bills because the dealer chose to void your warranty because they'd claim "bad fuel" was the cause.

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #9  
Last I knew gas trucks had fuel filters, transmission filters also. Gas vehicles also have emissions systems that fail. I replaced an EGR valve on the wife's car about 4 years ago.

I can't say I know but a couple of people that own newer diesel trucks and they don't have problems yet, but I do agree, it can be a problem but I do think they are getting better.

Keep this in mind, this is the future of diesel engines, like it or hate it. It the same for everybody, tractors, light trucks, big rigs, heavy equipment. We can whine about it or adapt. This is just like the late 70's and early 80's with gas vehicles, people whined and ***** about the emissions stuff but I don't read anybody complaining about it now on gas vehicles.

/ Reminder - Cost of Ownership of Gas vs Diesel #10  
Last I knew gas trucks had fuel filters, transmission filters also. Gas vehicles also have emissions systems that fail. I replaced an EGR valve on the wife's car about 4 years ago. I can't say I know but a couple of people that own newer diesel trucks and they don't have problems yet, but I do agree, it can be a problem but I do think they are getting better. Keep this in mind, this is the future of diesel engines, like it or hate it. It the same for everybody, tractors, light trucks, big rigs, heavy equipment. We can whine about it or adapt. This is just like the late 70's and early 80's with gas vehicles, people whined and ***** about the emissions stuff but I don't read anybody complaining about it now on gas vehicles.

True but they still have a long way to go to convince me to but a current diesel. Another problem with diesels is not many people can work on them that actually know what they're doing. Most places throw parts at the wall and hope they stick when it comes to diesels.