Landscape Trailer

/ Landscape Trailer #1  

Tawas Bay

Tractor
Kubota 2920
I know this isn't the introductions forum but I bought my first tractor for snow removal and road maintenance for a small cabin about 90 miles north of my house.

I bought a Kubota 2920 from a dealer who delivered it to my primary residence. Now I have to transport the tractor to my cabin. I already own a Legend Open Deluxe twin axle 14 foot trailer. The decking is 5/4 boards. (Similar too but not exactly the one pictured here --> Home > Legend Trailers > Open Trailers > Open Deluxe - Legend).

What is your opinions on the 5/4 boards supporting a 2920 w/ loader and loaded tires? (I'm guessing the tractor weights 1500, plus 500 for loader, plus 400 for ties plus 100 for fluids so 2500 lbs ish?) I presume most car haulers / equipment haulers are running 2" boards. I have no concerns regarding axle loads which is supposedly good for 5000 lbs.

I was planning on purchasing some 2x8's to lay over the ramp (unlike the photo on the legend website, my ramp is one piece) because I have my doubts of the ramp supporting the tractor w/o deflecting.

The trailer has 6 tie downs sunk flush in the decking that are held in place by 6 x 6 plate sandwiched in the decking. I was going to procure some heavy automotive type ratchet straps. 2 for the front and 2 for the back.

Any opinions? concerns? comments?
Thanks

TB

Last edited:
   / Landscape Trailer #2  
Welcome to TBN.....

I think your trailer will be fine to haul your 2920. The 5/4 boards are supported by the frame underneath. For securing the tractor I would tie it down to the frame and not the tie downs in the decking. They are fine for lighter loads but I wouldn't rely on decking to hold 2500 lbs. 2X8's on the ramp are fine or a sheet of plywood on the ramp will help distribute the weight. 2 tie downs each front and back are good. Don't forget to tied down implements such as loader and whatever is on the 3 pt.

/ Landscape Trailer #3  
If anything I would run another layer of 5/4 boards length wise where the tires are. 4 14' boards will do the trick.

Chris

/ Landscape Trailer
Thanks guys.

The cross beams are in 24" centers. I am considering adding 1 x 14 down the track. I was thinking of bolting them on at the ends and maybe a couple in the middle.

I actually dropped the trailer off and the dealer this afternoon. I called and asked their opinion. The service manager said he'd add an additional hinge to the drop gate and reinforce the gate with some diamond plate at the track. I left him the tractor dimensions. He's drafting something and will call me Monday with a proposal.

/ Landscape Trailer #5  
Just be aware that the trailer that you linked has a capacity of 2300lbs and your load is ~2500 (though I think you over stated your tie down weight). Either way, you are really close to the max GVWR of the trailer, so any additional equipment or implements should be hauled separately. Also keep a close eye on the trailer integrity before hauling.

/ Landscape Trailer
Crashz,

I have the 7 x 14 w/ 2 axles. Axles are good for 5000 lbs, the trailer weighs 1160 giving me 3840 to play with. Do I misunderstand how trailer payloads are calculated?
I thought I had over 1000 lbs headspace between my load and the upper specification of the trailer.

TB

/ Landscape Trailer #7  
Trailers do get overloaded fast, from what TB says it should be okay. I would remove the 5/4 boards and replace them with 1-1/2. Less warping and flexing.

/ Landscape Trailer #8  
Crashz,

I have the 7 x 14 w/ 2 axles. Axles are good for 5000 lbs, the trailer weighs 1160 giving me 3840 to play with. Do I misunderstand how trailer payloads are calculated?
I thought I had over 1000 lbs headspace between my load and the upper specification of the trailer.

TB

You do misunderstand what you have (a little bit). Its not the axles that are 5000 rated. According to the trailer specs for the 714 OD that is the GVWR of the trailer. The GVWR is the total weight of the trailer including the load. You are correct that the trailer has a load capacity of 3840. Having your trailer dealer add more wood, diamond plate, extra hinge, and any other reinforcing adds weight. That weight will have to be deducted from the load capacity of 3840. If he adds 140 lbs. that reduces the load capacity to 3700. If your tractor is truly 2500 lb. then you'll be OK.

/ Landscape Trailer #9  
For comparison, I have 2x8 decking on my 7x16 trailer, which I used to transport my B2920 (and now my L3200). The underlying frame supports are 24" on center if I remember right. The rear gate is 1-1/2" square steel tube on 12" centers, with expanded metal welded over the top. It has three hinges.

I would not recommend putting any boards/etc over the ramp unless they are firmly bolted down. Otherwise, the tractor tires will probably want to kick the boards out, since there will only be 2 wheels on the ramp most of the time. Seen many loading accidents where loose ramps or boards got kicked out from under a tractor.

Be sure to use 4WD and low gear when driving on and off the trailer (this enhances traction *and* braking should you need it). Be prepared for the rear of the trailer to squat when you first pull on or back off. Might need to block the rear of the trailer to prevent issues (at least be prepared to block it the first time until you get the hang of things). If your tow vehicle is light enough, you can even lift the rear of the tow vehicle off the ground! That's bad news as most vehicles parking brakes are on the rear wheels....

You may not have enough fore/aft room to properly position the tractor on a 14' trailer to get the tongue weight right. I know that with a 16' trailer, I was much closer to the front when getting balance right. You will want the tractor floorboard area over the center of the two wheels as an approximate starting point, but go fore/aft as needed to get the tongue weight correct. You can put the front loader bucket over the front rail of the trailer a little bit if needed. Or maybe back on if you run out of room up front.

Good luck!

/ Landscape Trailer #10  
. Be prepared for the rear of the trailer to squat when you first pull on or back off. Might need to block the rear of the trailer to prevent issues (at least be prepared to block it the first time until you get the hang of things). If your tow vehicle is light enough, you can even lift the rear of the tow vehicle off the ground! That's bad news as most vehicles parking brakes are on the rear wheels....

That will prevent this:

trailerWithoutSupports.jpg

Bruce