Y2K GMC rear disc brakes

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes
hmm.. i'm going to go against my normal opinion and say that my 2000 yukon's rear brakes gave me no problems ( SHOCK! )

everything else on the truck seems to be a POS.. but not the brakes. :) ratio of front to rear changes seemes to echo what i have seen with other vehicles.

it's currently parked in the barn with about 260k on her and no tag. still runs.. but i'm hard pressed to pawn that POS off on anybody. I'd feel bad doing so.

Would not hestitate to sell mine to anyone who had the cash....given my low mileage and the limited use it gets, the truck will probably outlast me...

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 76
And here is the front plate...

Attachments

• LG Volt 11-20 031.jpg
    LG Volt 11-20 031.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 101
I didn't know anybody had a front plate in Michigan.

Law here says you can display ANYTHING as a front plate as long as it is not obscene or improperly lighted. Rear plates are mandatory. I had this plate on the rear of the GMC with a neon frame until those became illegal.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #15  
Law here says you can display ANYTHING as a front plate as long as it is not obscene or improperly lighted. Rear plates are mandatory. I had this plate on the rear of the GMC with a neon frame until those became illegal.
Interesting.
Your Yukon XL looks pretty clean for it's age. Curious if you have the liftgate or barn doors on the back. I've always wanted a Yukon XL with Quadrasteer and barn doors, but it was never offered.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #16  
Dielectric grease will also work in a pinch.

I've used molly grease with good results on slides and such, however, routine maint is the real key

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #17  
I did that on my 04 a few times too. Had the rear rotors rust from the inside out. What a pain.

A few months ago we did my fathers 2011 2500HD. He only has 21K miles on it, but those are snow plowing miles. The truck plows snow in the winter, and sits in the barn with a damp gravel floor during the summer. Its gets washed very seldom so you can imagine the results. All four rotors were wrecked, calipers seized (on the slides, not in the bore, but we replaced them anyway)and pads worn to steel. Nice big brakes though.

I did that on my 04 a few times too. Had the rear rotors rust from the inside out. What a pain.

A few months ago we did my fathers 2011 2500HD. He only has 21K miles on it, but those are snow plowing miles. The truck plows snow in the winter, and sits in the barn with a damp gravel floor during the summer. Its gets washed very seldom so you can imagine the results. All four rotors were wrecked, calipers seized (on the slides, not in the bore, but we replaced them anyway)and pads worn to steel. Nice big brakes though.

Had to use solvent to get the rear rotors off mine plus use a hammer to break them free but there wasn't a lot of dust build up inside the rotors where the parking brake shoes are...there was still some grease on the slides and and while I had to use a cheater bar on the ratchet to break the T-55 Torx caliper slide bolts loose, that was the only real issue I had. I used disc brake grease to relube the slides.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #19  
2006 Silverado 138000 miles. Original rear shoes, have done the front pads and rotors at least 4-5 times

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #20  
hmm.. i'm going to go against my normal opinion and say that my 2000 yukon's rear brakes gave me no problems ( SHOCK! )

everything else on the truck seems to be a POS.. but not the brakes. :) ratio of front to rear changes seemes to echo what i have seen with other vehicles.

it's currently parked in the barn with about 260k on her and no tag. still runs.. but i'm hard pressed to pawn that POS off on anybody. I'd feel bad doing so.

Dang, over a quarter million miles, where I'm from we would call that pretty good service.:D