What springs should I use?

/ What springs should I use? #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
Building a 5X9, or 10' landscape type trailer with 1' sides. Most of it's use will be hauling an ATV, fetching lumber, appliances, christmas tree, etc. Well under 1,000lbs... although I'll be making it tight so I can get gravel, or dirt when I'd like.... which could get heavy...

I've got the axle rated for 3,500lbs... so the question is; should I choose springs to handle the absolute max it may encounter, or should I go lighter so under normal use it's not beating itself up? I could put 1,750lb (x2) springs to get the 3,500lbs or a pair of 1,250lb springs for 2,500lb rating.

I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak... I haven't bought the tow rig yet... but it'll likely be a Wrangler or Tacoma...

/ What springs should I use?
I had to look back to see what springs I'd used on my military dump trailer... and they were 3,500 (combined)... and it didn't seem to ride rough empty... I guess I just answered my own question LOL... although I'd love to hear opinions.

/ What springs should I use? #3  
I would opt for the heavier springs. If it bounces around empty, let some of the air out of the tires. Just keep an air tank with you to blow them back up when you load the trailer. At least, the heavier springs will carry more and you will probably end up overloading the trailer, at some point.