Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems.

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have a co-worker whose husband owns a 6.4 Ford Power Stroke that is a problem child. They got the extended warranty, thank god. They have had the truck about 4 months but have only been able to drive it about a couple of weeks the time they have owned it. Its had turbos, injectors, egr, short block, valve train parts replaced. Its been in the shop something like 8 times since they have owned. It was never right from day one, truck has about 70,000 miles on it.

The current problem is metal shaving in the fuel filter. The owner was worried about gelling or some other issue on why the truck wasn't running right so he replaced the fuel filters and found the current problem. Why would there be shavings in the fuel system? Problem with the main injection pump? The dealership actually said it must have been something the owner did.

Last edited:
   / Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #2  
Don't know details about the fuel system in that truck, but I can't think of how you'd get shavings in the fuel filter from anything but the fuel pump, except maybe contaminated fuel..

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #3  
When they did some of the other warranty work they may have got the shavings in there. Other than that not sure how it could happen unless it was contaminated fuel or the lift pump is self destructing. Sounds like it might be time to take the hit and get a reliable truck.

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #4  
The 6.4's haven't had a lot of reliability problems, but this one could be a lemon… now. It seems that with some vehicles once they start messing with them for one or two problems, the variety of problems just compound. At some point you have to punt. But I wouldn't be afraid to get another 6.4...

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #5  
Does he have some enemies who work at a machine shop?

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems.
He works at a body shop actually, I don't think anybody messed with it, just the dealership. At this point, I would have lit the thing on fire and sent it through the show room window by now. I don't know if the 6.4 power strokes have a CP3 pump similar to the Cummins and D-maxs or not.

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #7  
except maybe contaminated fuel..

Which would explain a lot of the other problems as well. I bet the original owner tried to put some 'cheap' fuel in it and got burned.

My '08 PS turned over 55,555.5 yesterday (I took a pic for grins :)) and the only problem I've had is the leaky radiator. Other than that, it's been trouble-free and pulls like a freight train!

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #8  
Which would explain a lot of the other problems as well. I bet the original owner tried to put some 'cheap' fuel in it and got burned.

It doesn't need to be cheap fuel to have been contaminated. Expensive fuel also gets contaminated as well.
Water and dirt have no preference as to where they like to hang out:shocked:
Any fuel supplier and gas station have problems with both dirt and water to some extent. Fuel dispensing pumps at gas stations have their own filter so in theory, no contamination is possible. We all know that isn't true, but in the OP post he only mentions small metal filings.
Ford dealer needs to step up to the plate and do the right thing. I would suspect that by now, this vehicle would qualify for the Lemon law and could be bought back by Ford.

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #9  
It doesn't need to be cheap fuel to have been contaminated. Expensive fuel also gets contaminated as well.
Water and dirt have no preference as to where they like to hang out:shocked:
Any fuel supplier and gas station have problems with both dirt and water to some extent. Fuel dispensing pumps at gas stations have their own filter so in theory, no contamination is possible. We all know that isn't true, but in the OP post he only mentions small metal filings.
Ford dealer needs to step up to the plate and do the right thing. I would suspect that by now, this vehicle would qualify for the Lemon law and could be bought back by Ford.

True, but I've heard of too many people trying to make their own diesel or 'get some from a buddy' and that usually doesn't end well in today's high-tech diesel trucks. That was my intent, but you are correct.

And this person appears to be the second (at least) owner, so lemon law does not apply in this case. You have to be the original owner.

/ Co-worker with 6.4 Ford Power Stroke problems. #10  
Another person screwed by Ford, 6.0 and 6.4 are terrible mishaps. Thank God I have a 7.3!! and a 12v Cummins.