Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #1  

Markcuda

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 X754,54 inch HC deck.
I am going to order a Liberty utility trailer, built in Indiana.
Do I want a tandem axle or a single?
I will be hauling a 800 pound 4 wheeler.
A single axle will haul about 2000 pounds.
A tandem axle will haul about 5000.
Is a tandem axle trailer that much better pulling than a single axle?
Or, is the 2nd axle just a wast of money, as I will never carry more than 2
quads=1600 pounds.
School me, please.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #2  
Personally, I have a single axle 5x10 and a 82"x16 tandem. I only put my quad, RTV or tractor on the tandem. Brakes for one thing, an extra wheel in case of a blowout and also flexibility should you want to haul some pallets of whatever for whatever. I rarely use my single axle for anything anymore. My opinion anyway.

My neighbor has a 82x14 tandem and it is very useful, in fact I used to borrow it before I bought my own. At 14' it can get short in a hurry though. All in you intended uses. He is able to put 3 quads side by side on his.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #3  
The tandem axle will tow much better. The tandem will be very much worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #4  
I have an 8 X 16' deck over (was called a 4 place snowmobile trailer). Dual axles trail better, give you more load capacity (for those unforeseen OTHER hauls you will be making), and give you some additional options in case you have a flat tire out in Nowhereville. Mine has the 20.5 x 10" size tires in the maximum load range (E is it ?). I keep a spare on board the truck at all times and a roll-on axle jack there, too.

The dual axles also allow for a lower tongue weight around the yard, meaning that I can drag it around with my golf carts when empty and need it moved. Hauls 100 small square hay bales beautifully. Ramp rail on the sides and back for 1, 2, or 3 wheel loading or a sled. (My JD-525 is a 3 wheeler, my F-935 is a 4 wheel mower.

I've regularly hauled 30' windmill towers home with it with excellent stability. Deck and tires are too light for my JD1070 though. I rent a U-Haul when and if that's necessary.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #5  
The tandem axle will tow much better. The tandem will be very much worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

Not to mention backing ability is greatly increased. For me anything over 12' need to be tandem axles. Anything over 20' needs dual wheeled tandems and a gooseneck. My .02.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #6  
I would go tandem for the simple fact that you will find other uses.

Chris

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long. #8  
Can you be a tad more specific, please?

I agree with lawnCare, my tandem is much more stable over my single axle. Sway and general handling are much better. Also, brakes are something to consider--takes the stopping load off of the truck and also helps with stability in a variety of adverse and regular conditions.

/ Lets talk small utility trailers,78 inches wide x 14 feet long.
OK, thank you very much.