Honda quad question

/ Honda quad question #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

My neighbor and I were chattin over the fence yesterday, discussing my brand new, that morning, Husqvarna Garden Tractor, which I LOVE, by the way. Any way, he asked me if I was interested in his old Honda quad. It has sat for a couple years and was giving carb issues before he moved on to a golf cart to do his chores with.

He gave it to me!!!!!

Soo, my question, is how do I tell what model this thing is. I don't know the year, but according to him, it's a 250cc, and it's a 2WD. It's green and looks just like the 4WD models, sans the front diff of course. It's manual shift, but no clutch.

I want to get a manual for it, but would like to know how to tell what year/model it is so I can get the right manual. Any suggestions on where to look? I don't see any name plates, it just says Honda, made in USA.

Any helpful hints appreciated. Also ideas of what to expect carb wise, or tuning?

/ Honda quad question #3  
Should be a vin number stamped into the frame. There is also a sticker which is usually on the front frame rails between the left and right suspension arms.

Attachments

• image-3786403278.jpg
    image-3786403278.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 162
   / Honda quad question #4  
I would hook the quad up to another vehicle with a set of booster cables and then try to start it. Make sure you check the oil first! I have an old Windex bottle in the shop that I use to squirt some gas into the carburetor throat. If the spark is good you will be able to get the quad running for a short time by keeping on squirting gas. I do this to sort out the question of whether the no starting problem is gas or spark. If the quad starts then obviously the problem is gas and not spark.

If you are just even a bit handy I wouldn't be scared to take the carb apart to clean it. Your local Honda shop should have service manuals that explain now to do it. They usually even have nice parts diagrams to help.

/ Honda quad question #6  
Take your time. Get to know it well. I can't tell you how many people who thought that a quad was a ton safer than a dirt bike, and ended up hurt. A 4 wheeler is heavy and can do damage. I am not saying they are not fun. They can be a ball, but you have to respect them.

/ Honda quad question #7  
   / Honda quad question #8  
Most Hondas have a vin tag on the steering column below the handlebars under the plastic. Also a good idea to hook up to a charger or other vehicle. I've personally had all of my trikes and my quad crank over fine but not start and then you give them one kick or a pull on the cord and they fire right up. It's almost as if the starter draws so much power that it doesn't have enough to make a spark.

/ Honda quad question
Wow you guys give a ton of info right off the bat. Thanks.

I found the sticker I needed to find, on the frame rail in front. It is a 1998 TRX 250, so I will go from there, to do the clean up and restore.

Here's a shot of it. Pretty decent for a 98 that's sat outside for years.

Leftside_zpsbb2f5469.jpg

We have ridden quads before, and yes they can give a false sense of security.

/ Honda quad question #10  
Green, 250 and a 2wd it is a Recon. TRX 250
The year of manufacture will be on that sticker as well.

Owners manual can be gotten here.
Helm Incorporated: Product Search Engine

Agreed. We have the same quad and its a tank. Great machine. We have had success putting some Sea Foam in with every tank full of gas.

Good luck. Good deal.

MoKelly