Worst factory headlight design

/ Worst factory headlight design #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
While poor output and a bad pattern are definitely a problem, what got me thinking about this subject was what somebody I know went through changing a headlight bulb on a '09 Malibu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RiqSjaaquA

For non-DIY'ers, who don't happen to have a competent 7 y/o around, can you imagine what Shop Labour would be on that ?

Who's next for a better-worst candidate ?

Rgds, D.

/ Worst factory headlight design #2  
I remember installing a new battery in a '97 Monte Carlo that my wife used to own. It had some kind of a brace that ran diagonally across the top of the battery that had to be removed before you even thought about any of the rest of the process.

/ Worst factory headlight design #3  
And he did it without Snap-On tools too! :D

Terrific video...what an amazing young man

/ Worst factory headlight design #4  
My son had a 98 Olds Aurora that was just awfull to change the light bulbs. Took me something like 3 hours.

/ Worst factory headlight design
That little fellow is not your avg. 7 y/o, and the parents have done a great job in raising him.

In today's world, what % of 17 or 27 y/o's could accomplish the same task ?

Next time I'm seriously looking at something in a showroom, I plan to ask "Please pop the hood, and show me how to change a headlight bulb".

"No can do ? OK, let's stop by the Service desk, and get a quote on this" will be my follow-up.

Rgds, D.

/ Worst factory headlight design #7  
That's where the new bumper to bumper warranties come in... you pay ahead of time to get the headlight bulbs changed.

My son had a 98 Olds Aurora that was just awfull to change the light bulbs. Took me something like 3 hours.

Other manufacturers are up to the same malarkey, but it does seem to be a common GM issue.

I've been told that late model GM full-size pickups are not fun either.

Rgds, D.

That's where the new bumper to bumper warranties come in... you pay ahead of time to get the headlight bulbs changed.

Scrambler - any chance you and rd_mac are New Car Dealers ? :laughing:

It would be interesting to see if light bulbs are covered in the basic New warranty fine-print, or if you have to pay extra for that.

Makes me appreciate my old Volvo.... takes me no more than 2 minutes to change a headlight bulb - less time if I put down my coffee !

Rgds, D.

I remember installing a new battery in a '97 Monte Carlo that my wife used to own. It had some kind of a brace that ran diagonally across the top of the battery that had to be removed before you even thought about any of the rest of the process.

I remember that setup.

Might just be me, but I find metal parts (even with Canadian rust on 'em) typically less irritating than many all-plastic assemblies - I hate going hunting for replacement plastic fasteners.

Rgds, D.