f350 5.4l stalling problem

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #1  

chrisdvorak

Gold Member
Tractor
too many
The truck is a 2002 f350 5.4l auto 4x4. when started in the morning for the first 10min or so while warming up the truck idles rough and the OD light starts flashing. when its up to temp and you shift to drive it shifts hard and fast into gear (torque converter locked?) then as you pick up speed on the road the light always goes off. pull up to a stop sign in D and it will stall unless you hold fuel at 1k or so. truck never stalls while in P . note: truck still shifts great and torque converter locks at 40mph quick and smooth but something is certainly wrong here. does this sound like the torque converter itself is bad or could it be an electrical problem? and how would you test it? also its getting terrible fuel milage. I would have a hard time believing the TC went out all together as the truck only has 115K on it and it never pulls a trailer, not like the 5.4l puts out a lot of torque either. tranny fluid is clean, filled to proper level and not burnt. any input would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #2  
The truck is a 2002 f350 5.4l auto 4x4. when started in the morning for the first 10min or so while warming up the truck idles rough and the OD light starts flashing. when its up to temp and you shift to drive it shifts hard and fast into gear (torque converter locked?) then as you pick up speed on the road the light always goes off. pull up to a stop sign in D and it will stall unless you hold fuel at 1k or so. truck never stalls while in P . note: truck still shifts great and torque converter locks at 40mph quick and smooth but something is certainly wrong here. does this sound like the torque converter itself is bad or could it be an electrical problem? and how would you test it? also its getting terrible fuel milage. I would have a hard time believing the TC went out all together as the truck only has 115K on it and it never pulls a trailer, not like the 5.4l puts out a lot of torque either. tranny fluid is clean, filled to proper level and not burnt. any input would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks
Might want to ask about your problem over at the ford f150 forum website.Folks over there are pretty sharp with the 5.4 engine.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #3  
coil packs. they will come and go intermittently when they are dieing. if you drop more than one you'll stall.

check the ECU for codes.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem
Coil packs and plugs are new, and there is no check engine light on

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #5  
Fuel pressure problem.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #6  
The truck is a 2002 f350 5.4l auto 4x4. when started in the morning for the first 10min or so while warming up the truck idles rough and the OD light starts flashing. when its up to temp and you shift to drive it shifts hard and fast into gear (torque converter locked?) then as you pick up speed on the road the light always goes off. pull up to a stop sign in D and it will stall unless you hold fuel at 1k or so. truck never stalls while in P . note: truck still shifts great and torque converter locks at 40mph quick and smooth but something is certainly wrong here. does this sound like the torque converter itself is bad or could it be an electrical problem? and how would you test it? also its getting terrible fuel milage. I would have a hard time believing the TC went out all together as the truck only has 115K on it and it never pulls a trailer, not like the 5.4l puts out a lot of torque either. tranny fluid is clean, filled to proper level and not burnt. any input would be greatly appreciated. -thanks
My gut tells me you have a problem with the Torque Converter control circuit. This could an electronic problem with the TC lockup solenoid on the valve-body, the transmission control computer (PCM), related wiring and connectors or something wrong with the hydraulic side of the circuit (solenoid sticking, valve-body issue or the torque converter itself.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #7  
coil packs. they will come and go intermittently when they are dieing. if you drop more than one you'll stall. check the ECU for codes.
My 2000 5.4L will run on 5 coils, so I don't think dropping one coil would stall anything out unless there were other problems.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem
Thanks HHR, that's what I was thinking also. How would one go about testing the torque converter control circuit?

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #9  
Thanks HHR, that's what I was thinking also. How would one go about testing the torque converter control circuit?
First you should get a scan tool hooked up to check for any DTC codes and observe when the computer is commanding TCC lockup and unlock at appropriate times. The next step to rule out the wiring itself would be to drop the pan and disconnect the wiring from the solenoid, put everything back together and see if the stalling issue goes away or changes (some people just snip the purple wire in the harness going to the transmission so they don't have to drop the pan). If the problem persists, the solenoid may be mechanically "stuck" and swapping the solenoid pack for a known good unit would be a good idea before condemning the torque converter.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #10  
when the OD light flashes it means there is a trans code. using a scan tool you should be able to pull it.