Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
My newest issue of POPULAR MECHANICS just arrived...the front cover folds out for a 4-page blurb for Castrol Edge motor oil, with instructions and pictograms of "how to do oil changes yourself"...part of those instructions (step 3) advise you to "Get jacked up, for some cars you may need extra clearance, when jacking a car be sure to follow safety procedures and only lift a car with the jack in the proper jack location...."

Whoever approved that ad for publication is a BIG TIME, STUPID MORON !!!!!!

Each and every owner's manual, as well as the multitude of service manuals I have read in my 40-plus years of vehicle ownership, clearly tell you NOT TO GET UNDER THE VEHICLE WHEN SUPPORTED BY A JACK......!!!!!

I don't care if the vehicle has all four wheels on it and all four are touching the ground, only a complete idiot would use a jack only to raise it to enable them to crawl underneath to access the oil filter and drain plug.

DUHHHHHH !!!!!!

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #2  
My newest issue of POPULAR MECHANICS just arrived...the front cover folds out for a 4-page blurb for Castrol Edge motor oil, with instructions and pictograms of "how to do oil changes yourself"...part of those instructions (step 3) advise you to "Get jacked up, for some cars you may need extra clearance, when jacking a car be sure to follow safety procedures and only lift a car with the jack in the proper jack location...." Whoever approved that ad for publication is a BIG TIME, STUPID MORON !!!!!! Each and every owner's manual, as well as the multitude of service manuals I have read in my 40-plus years of vehicle ownership, clearly tell you NOT TO GET UNDER THE VEHICLE WHEN SUPPORTED BY A JACK......!!!!! I don't care if the vehicle has all four wheels on it and all four are touching the ground, only a complete idiot would use a jack only to raise it to enable them to crawl underneath to access the oil filter and drain plug. DUHHHHHH !!!!!!

I use ramps. If I was to use a jack I would utilize a jack stand.

Chris

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #4  
I agree, set the brake, jack stands to support & chock the wheels THEN test (shake a bit) for stability before venturing anywhere underneath. If you're working alone, have your mobile phone on you too.

But we live in a constantly 'dumbing-down' (first) world where you take your vehicle in to be serviced or have road-side assistance to change a flat tyre, etc...

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #5  
I agree, those instructions will get somebody killed.

I am glad that I own a Jeep TJ. I don't need a jack to change my oil. All 4 sit on the ground all the time.

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #6  
"Get jacked up, for some cars you may need extra clearance, when jacking a car be sure to follow safety procedures and only lift a car with the jack in the proper jack location...."

I see no mention of getting under the car not supported by jackstands or some other method.

In fact it says "follow safety procedures" which seems to indicate, any and all parts of jacking up a car includeing but not limited to, useing jackstands to hold the car while you work under it.

but based on the statement provided, I read nothing wrong with it at all.

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change
I see no mention of getting under the car not supported by jackstands or some other method.

In fact it says "follow safety procedures" which seems to indicate, any and all parts of jacking up a car includeing but not limited to, useing jackstands to hold the car while you work under it.

but based on the statement provided, I read nothing wrong with it at all.

There are seven steps noted in the process and step four reads that you should remove the oil drain bolt, drain the oil, and then remove the filter. Pretty obvious one has to get underneath the car.

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #8  
I had a friend from high school get under his car while on jacks. The jacks slipped and he was crushed to death. Sad and preventable.

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #9  
Safety First!

Oil changes on both of our primary vehicles, a Jeep TJ and 07' Mini Cooper, are done without jacking or ramps.

/ Jacking up a vehicle for an oil change #10  
I've a ramp going up into our carriage house. I just back it in until the front wheels are right at the edge of the ramp, IF I have to go underneath at all. Good cars and pickups should be designed so that you DON'T NEED TO GO UNDERNEATH to change the oil. This is the case on our VW Jetta TDI. I use an extractor to remove the oil via the dipstick, after removing the filter from up top.

HATE my Tacoma. Requires a long reach to get to the filter either from the top or from the bottom. Toyota engineers are idiots.

Ralph