Tundra or Silverado/Sierra?

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #1  

farmeratheart

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2520, JD650
I know that we all love to spend the other guys money on this site. Here's a question for all of you. If you were going to buy a new truck this year and your choice was limited to the Toyota Tundra or the GM Siverado/Sierra which would you get? I need to tow a 2000 lb boat/trailer combo and a firewood trailer quite often. Then there is the occasional need to lug the tractor around! Reliability is most important, but maximizing mileage is important. I know that you all have opinions- so let's have it!

Thanks.

Frank

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #2  
Tundra. I've had a bunch of them and no troubles ever. Used to be Chevy and GMC but no more.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #3  
Toyota would be my pick but I would drive them both. If the Toy is not comfortable for you to ride in for hours then it's worth losing some quality to get the comfort.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #4  
Either truck will tow the loads you mention. Both will get about the same mileage. It comes down to which one fits you better. Take each for a test drive and you'll find your answer.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #5  
I have been driving GM trucks for 35 years,never had a bad one.I would guess 20 or so_One half ton 4WD for the most part,extended cabs since 1997.
My current is a 2014 Silverado,4WD,extended cab,Z71 and it's a very nice truck.
The biggest knock on the Toyota's that I have heard is gas mileage.I have a friend with an older Toy and it's been a money pit recently.
You may want to look at the new Colorado,I think they are rated for 7,000lbs.towing.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #6  
Either brand will do what you need...Drive them both, you'll know which one pretty quickly.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #7  
I just went through this and ended up with a Tundra (2015 crewmax). My last 2 were GMs. GM will get better mileage than the Toyota. If you plan to do anything off-road the front end of GM is very low. There is an air dam that hangs way down. It is there to increase the mileage (about +2 mpg). Friend ripped his off on a dirt road! I'm averaging between 14 and 15mpg and have towed about 8,000lbs at this point. Good luck they are both nice

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #8  
I just picked up my 5th tundra, have had 01, 05, 07, 10, and now a 13. Guess i'm a bit biased,
but in all of those trucks, approx 17,000 miles per year, (more mileage earlier on) i have had 1 warranty issue,
a radio, and other than tires/brakes i have had no other repairs. i routinely tow a landscape trailer up to
3k lbs, a few times a year tow our boat which is probably 4500, and once or twice a year tow
our 27' travel trailer all with no problems. I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller for the camper.
Mileage wise, it is what it is, 381 hp and over 5000 lbs doesn't add up to good gas mileage!
But I find it a quiet, comfortable and dependable truck.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #9  
Pros and cons with both. I have been looking.
I like the interior of the GMC as well as the onstar option. The Tundra has the option to put down the whole rear window which is nice. I also like the bumper pullout step that Toyota has but I was not happy with the seating or how the interior was laid out.

Both will tow what you are looking to tow. I have a 2013 Sierra 1500 that I have towed 9000lbs with and it does it pretty well. Like everyone said you wont go wrong either way. I decided on the RAM 1500 after looking at everything.

Good luck with your new ride.

/ Tundra or Silverado/Sierra? #10  
Reliability is most important, but maximizing mileage is important.

If maximizing mileage is important, Toyota will not be at the top of any lists. They are significantly worse than Ford and GM when it comes to gas mileage across the model range. I was shocked when I discovered that, as I expected the exact opposite. I bought a 2014 GMC Sierra last May, crew cab / standard bed / 4x4 / 5.3L V8, and it's rated for 22mpg highway (routinely returns 23-24mpg in real world use on long highway trips; my combined city/highway average is 19-20mpg on most tanks). Similar Ford models are in the same ballpark. But a comparable Tundra is rated for 17mpg highway and real world mileage reports suggest that's optimistic. For whatever reason, the Tundras drink gas like they're dragging an anchor and parachute, and on paper they are 5mpg or more worse than the competition.

The one thing I didn't like about the Tundra was that their technology seemed 4-6 years behind the rest of the truck world in 2014 when I was shopping. It's like they froze things with their last major update in 2007, and anything since then has been cosmetic. I think they are in need of an honest refresh like Nissan just went through. Which reminds me, look at Nissan!