Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #1  

jimmy2oo3

Tractor
Allis Chalmers D17, Allis Chalmers B
Hi,

I just put a deposit down today on a 1990 Kubota L2850 loader/backhoe located in Canada (I'm in New York about 5 1/2 hours away). I'm now looking for the best way to transport the tractor. My truck is not equipped for towing and was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to rent a truck to tow the tractor (or possibly a flatbed truck) without having a special driver's license? I would love to be able to go myself to not only see the tractor and pay in person, but also I feel that it would make getting the tractor through customs easier.

Otherwise, does anyone have any experience importing a tractor from Canada to the US? The dealer assured me that they sell tractors to people in the US all the time and that it's a simple process, but I've never done it before and want everything to go smoothly.

Thanks in advance!

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #2  
Hi,

I just put a deposit down today on a 1990 Kubota L2850 loader/backhoe located in Canada (I'm in New York about 5 1/2 hours away). I'm now looking for the best way to transport the tractor. My truck is not equipped for towing and was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to rent a truck to tow the tractor (or possibly a flatbed truck) without having a special driver's license? I would love to be able to go myself to not only see the tractor and pay in person, but also I feel that it would make getting the tractor through customs easier.

Otherwise, does anyone have any experience importing a tractor from Canada to the US? The dealer assured me that they sell tractors to people in the US all the time and that it's a simple process, but I've never done it before and want everything to go smoothly.

Thanks in advance!

You will have to pay tax on it when you cross the border. I've never came this way with anything of size but did move a mini excavator up to Canada. We did it through a equipment company.

As for the truck and trailer I'm sure there are local options.

Is the dealer any help?

Chris

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada
I figured that about tax, unfortunately. No getting around that, I guess!

The dealer did say they can transport the tractor, but it would be about $1800 CAD... considering it's only about 300 miles... OUCH. I said I wanted to try myself to find someone to transport it for me, and they basically just told me to contact U.S. Customs and to find out everything. I couldn't get ahold of customs today before they closed, but I'm trying to read up on their website. It just seems that it would be so much easier if I was the one transporting the tractor rather than someone else. I suppose it might be okay if the transporter was experienced with moving things across the border, but not sure I will be able to find someone like that.

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #4  
can you acquire a trailer? simplest item to rent that can tow is a moving van, tow your own trailer. up and back in the same day on the same rental. check with your car/home insurance about the tow. some will cover it some wont if something goes wrong.

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #5  
Going thru a common carrier will add costs as they will use a broker.
Hauling privately for personal use will avoid a lot of costs and possibly even free.
If you are commercial they will probably insist on a broker.

If your Kubota was made in the US (which it probably was) then you can claim 'USA goods being returned to country of origin'* and that should be free.
As to state taxes does US customs actually collect for the state? or is the onus not on you to remit (like if you purchased from neighboring state)

*I used to ship goods back from Can to US and was able to get remission of some Cdn taxes
By the same token you should be exempt from Quebec or Ontario taxes being out of province (country) sale and if not you can claim a refund with proof of export which your US customs documents would prove. The vender generally needs the trucker's waybill to exempt you from Cdn taxes but with farm equipment that may be a different story.

Using a customs broker will make it easier but they do take their pint of blood.
Do make a call to your US customs at your point of entry, they will advise you.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I cannot find ANYWHERE that will rent a truck to me that will be allowed to tow anything, and that is allowed to cross the border. I guess I'm stuck hiring someone. I normally don't mind that, but I think it's going to end up costing me an arm and a leg because of customs.

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #7  
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I cannot find ANYWHERE that will rent a truck to me that will be allowed to tow anything, and that is allowed to cross the border. I guess I'm stuck hiring someone. I normally don't mind that, but I think it's going to end up costing me an arm and a leg.

Hope you got a smoking deal on this tractor? It's going to end up costing you close to a new one if not!

Chris

It's a pretty good price if it's all the dealer claims that it is. Wouldn't say it's an amazing deal, but cheaper than anything that ever comes up locally.

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #9  
The difference in the dollar is probably is making the deal better,I'm thinking.

/ Truck Rental/Transporting from Canada #10  
What hind of truck do you have? Make, year, motor, gears, ect. Around here you can rent a trailer for $50 a day and a hitch and wiring harness for most late models is under $200

2850 weighs under 3000#. Being conservative and saying the loader and the BH are each 1000# that puts you at 5000#. A 7,000# capacity trailer weighs in at around 1500# leaving you sufficient payload for your rig.

Chris