Just ordered my 4th trailer.

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
I have a 20 Big Tex 7000 pound car hauler that I would not have bought if I had got to use if a few times but I did buy and so far it's done, for the most part, what I need it to do. It is too light. There are a couple of other things I do not like but was my mistake, not Big Tex.

I have a 16 foot Maxey Gooseneck 14000 pound hydraulic dump trailer that I love but it doesn't serve "all" purposes.

I have a 10 x 5 2500 pound no name trailer that I haul my lawn equipment in and it does fine.

I just ordered a Load Trail GC21. It's a 32 foot long by 102 inches wide, 21000 pound gooseneck with fold down ramps, tool box and receiver hitch.

Maybe now I can haul all my stuff.

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #2  
I have a 20 Big Tex 7000 pound car hauler that I would not have bought if I had got to use if a few times but I did buy and so far it's done, for the most part, what I need it to do. It is too light. There are a couple of other things I do not like but was my mistake, not Big Tex.

I have a 16 foot Maxey Gooseneck 14000 pound hydraulic dump trailer that I love but it doesn't serve "all" purposes.

I have a 10 x 5 2500 pound no name trailer that I haul my lawn equipment in and it does fine.

I just ordered a Load Trail GC21. It's a 32 foot long by 102 inches wide, 21000 pound gooseneck with fold down ramps, tool box and receiver hitch.

Maybe now I can haul all my stuff.

you'll just get more stuff

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #4  
You have a CDL?

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #5  
If he is not driving commercially it isn't required. I know lots of folk with BIG trailers for personal uses.

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #6  
If he is not driving commercially it isn't required. I know lots of folk with BIG trailers for personal uses.

Better read the rules. Once you go over 26,000 lb either actual weight or rated weight you can not drive it without a special license except in very limited circumstances. If it is truly not commercial you can get away with a class a license but the DOT man can find a way to construe almost anything into commercial.

The exemptions are farm use and rv's, military and fire fighting vehicles. On the farm use they are very strict. Both the truck and trailer must have farm plates, you can only be with a certain radius of your farm, and you can only haul your farm commodities. Farmers have been popped trying to use their farm exemption to move backhoes or even broke down vehicles on their exempt trailers.

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #7  
Here in California if the trailer is rated for over 10,000 lbs you need a Class A regardless of how much weight you are actually carrying, how long it is, or what your tow vehicle weighs. Trust me, my friendly neighborhood CHP schooled me on this, along with F450's not being pickups, the need for proper numbering, and weight stickers. I asked him about commercial vs non-commercial and he told me it didn't matter unless it was truly an RV trailer then you were legal with a Class C to a 14,000 lb rating on the trailer.

Brian

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #8  
It varies state to state, Allen in Texas, I think you're going to need the CDL because of either 1 and/or 2.

A Texas CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

TxDPS - CVE CDL Classifications (Class A)

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #9  
Better read the rules. Once you go over 26,000 lb either actual weight or rated weight you can not drive it without a special license except in very limited circumstances. If it is truly not commercial you can get away with a class a license but the DOT man can find a way to construe almost anything into commercial.

The exemptions are farm use and rv's, military and fire fighting vehicles. On the farm use they are very strict. Both the truck and trailer must have farm plates, you can only be with a certain radius of your farm, and you can only haul your farm commodities. Farmers have been popped trying to use their farm exemption to move backhoes or even broke down vehicles on their exempt trailers.

DOT varies by state. No such thing as farm plates here. Farm use here we just paint FARM USE on it and run it without plates. Our regular auto policies cover us when driving such vehicles with no issue. We have no issues pulling whatever we want for personal reasons. Locally, if there are rules they could be slamming us with, they don't.

/ Just ordered my 4th trailer. #10  
That's generally the case...

My brother and I have a 66,000 GVW rig, still to small for some of our stuff. It just is never big enough at one time or another. :eek:

Attachments

• P1010101.JPG
    P1010101.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 164