Brake Controller adjustment

/ Brake Controller adjustment #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
I got a 18ft 10000lbs car hauler that I use to haul my tractor around. I got a question on how the brake controller should be set when empty and should be set when loaded? I have a Curt discovery brake controller and by the instructions the settings are too tight for my trailer. Any advice on settings would be great. Thanks.

/ Brake Controller adjustment #2  
AS long as the brakes aren't locking up when empty you should be good. Some people like to try a couple test stops by applying more braking power from the controller, once they hit lockup, they back it off a touch. As far as loaded, I like to be able to apply the brakes and not feel the trailer pushing or pulling the truck. I have never really been able to set and forget the brakes on a trailer, its a small process every time I go to make sure they are setup each time. To each their own I guess!

/ Brake Controller adjustment #3  
I tend to turn the gain all the way down when unloaded, almost all the way up (probably to 90%) when I'm loaded to capacity, and somewhere in between for in-between sized loads. I still get adequate braking out of my old school Reese controller at the lowest setting to keep all my unloaded trailers behind me under hard braking, and at 90% all my heavy loads get stopped like there isn't much load at all.. I get about 30-35k miles out of a standard set of brakes on the truck (average for our terrain), and not sure how many on the trailer brakes, I've got about 8k miles on my dump trailer and it just passed inspection. I was told the pads were still over 50%...

/ Brake Controller adjustment #4  
I set it till it just locks up around 20mph then back it off a touch.

Chris

/ Brake Controller adjustment #5  
What Chris does is exactly what the instructions that came with my brake controller say to do. I have 3 levels of boost on mine. I leave at the lowest when empty or hauling less then 1,000 lbs, bump it up one for loads between 1,000 and 3,000 lbs, and turn it to high when over 3,000lbs (with a 7k trailer behind a Tundra). I have plenty of stopping power woot hour locking up.

Will

/ Brake Controller adjustment #6  
I hit the brakes hard from 30 each time I haul. Turn it up till I can tell the trailer is stopping us or see the trailer brakes lock up, then back off and check again. I also watch the tractor and whatever I have on it at the same time to be sure nothing is moving.

Want to scare a new low spot in your seat? Try it going backwards......

/ Brake Controller adjustment
Thanks for all the great advice guys.

/ Brake Controller adjustment #9  
I use a MaxBrake brake controller. It requires no setup other than the initial calibration and that is done without a trailer. It has a "gain" that is not really a gain control. It only controls "when" the trailer brakes come on. I have mine set to apply the trailer brakes just slightly before the truck brakes take hold. It works, with out adjustment, whether the trailer is empty or loaded. It is controlled by a pressure sender that is placed inline at the brake master cylinder. I got rid of several controllers because I got tired of having to adjust the controller every time I loaded or emptied my trailer. the newer trucks with the towing packages are equipped with the same type controller.
the pro's,
all of the aforementioned.
Con's
Expensive.

/ Brake Controller adjustment #10  
I use a MaxBrake brake controller. It requires no setup other than the initial calibration and that is done without a trailer. It has a "gain" that is not really a gain control. It only controls "when" the trailer brakes come on. I have mine set to apply the trailer brakes just slightly before the truck brakes take hold. It works, with out adjustment, whether the trailer is empty or loaded. It is controlled by a pressure sender that is placed inline at the brake master cylinder. I got rid of several controllers because I got tired of having to adjust the controller every time I loaded or emptied my trailer. the newer trucks with the towing packages are equipped with the same type controller. the pro's, all of the aforementioned. Con's Expensive.

Max Brake is one of my favorite. I have installed about a dozen of them but they are now out of business. They work just like the Ford Factory Controllers. I have the factory units in my 2006 F350 and 2012 F150 and they blow way any under the dash box.

Chris