Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Looks like we're going to need to purchase a deckover trailer for hauling equipment including winter use. I've never owned a gooseneck but imagine it might be a little better on snow and slippery conditions than a properly loaded bumper pull, but like I said, have no experience to back that up. Our road can be snowpacked from about Thanksgiving to late February so towing on snow can't be avoided. Tire chains are frequently used. Any opinions on gooseneck vs bumper pulll for winter use?

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #2  
the gooseneck loads the truck bed just in front of the axle so it puts weight on the front axle as well, the bumper takes weight off of the front axle and imho would be harder to pull in snow.

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #3  
This is a text book case which, strongly, favors use of a gooseneck, for many reasons, including safety. Yes, gooseneck loading of tires is vastly superior to that of a bumper hitch in this application.

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #4  
Both will work. Both have pluses and minuses.

Chris

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice
the gooseneck loads the truck bed just in front of the axle so it puts weight on the front axle as well, the bumper takes weight off of the front axle and imho would be harder to pull in snow.

That is what I have been thinking, with correct hitch loading the bumper pull minimizes the unweighting of the front axle, but always causes some.

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #6  
I've always just felt safer with the gooseneck...I usually pull it around during the snow with four wheeler and tractor to clean driveways in the county I live in...just seems like you have more control with the gooseneck especially with weight distribution.

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #7  
For hardback snow, put chains on the GN axles - cable are OK. This will give you a positive braking situation. GN's are much better in snow and ice the BP. Been there and done that :D

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #8  
If slippery conditions are known to be encountered, remember how much farther a gooseneck can safely jack-knife without damaging property, compared to a bumper pull.

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #9  
Trailer brakes, and properly set up is more important than trailer type IMO

/ Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull for snow and ice #10  
Trailer brakes, and properly set up is more important than trailer type IMO

Don't forget Special Sense. It's not common anymore!

Chris