Tundra vs. Chevy

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #1  

remman2506

Tractor
Montana 3040
Looking at buying a new 1/2 ton truck for the first time in years...narrowed it down to the tundra or 1500 silverado...wanting something that I can pull the gooseneck with the tractor on it and possibly small loads on my gooseneck dump trailer...I really like my duramax but not sure how a chevy gasser will do...have heard nothing but good things about the tundra...any ideas?

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #2  
Put your tractor on your trailer. Bring both trucks to your house, hook them up and drive your roads.

I just bought a $65,000.00 truck because I made the dealers let me do that. If they didn't want to play, I just went to the next same make dealer down the road. I ended up with a dually, simply because it felt best, had what I wanted..... Mostly a bluetooth radio and nothing else. Drove a bunch of trucks in the last year, all makes and all sizes because I don't really have a favorite brand. Some of them were dead set against hauling my tractor, I simply said have a nice day and moved on. Wound up buying 140 miles from my house, left 5 local dealers holding onto their stock trucks.

Still had to order the truck I wanted but got to know each one pretty good by judging it on the main hill I have to pull to get anywhere out of the valley I live in.

Mine is a bumper pull trailer with the tractor in my sig. I narrowed it down to 2 and pulled a second time with both, trailer as loaded as I will ever get it. Both makes were from dealers that serve rural communities. The city folks nearby acted like I was wanting to date their sisters.

I'm not feeding the brand wars here by saying what I went for. I will say that if Toyota came up with a dually, I'd take it in the shorts and trade tomorrow. If it wasn't for the extra security my ***** felt from the dually axle truck...... I would be a very proud Tundra Owner.

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #3  
Toyota makes a good truck. The only downsides (my opinion only) are poor gas mileage compared to the class leaders, and that the truck is a little stale, getting only a styling refresh lately (current truck is ~7 years old if I am doing the math right).

I shopped all the brands last year, and settled on a GMC Sierra. The strengths (again my opinion) are competent towing, good gas mileage, responsive steering/handling, and nice design touches throughout. I have a crew cab 4x4 with 5.3L V8, and it gives 19-20mpg when commuting, and 22-23mpg on long highway trips. Really like that.

Based on the towing needs you described, I imagine you'd want the bigger V8 if you went with the Chevy half ton, or step up to a 3/4 ton.

Good luck!

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #4  
Good input here. It seems like the dealer I just as important as anything.

Chris

/ Tundra vs. Chevy
I like the idea of trying them both out pulling my tractor...only problem is most half tons don't come with a gooseneck hitch on them so that won't work....most I would ever be pulling with it is 8000# if it's anymore than that I'll use my Duramax

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #6  
My Tundra can pull nearly 10,000 lbs and I do it. It pulls great. I get about 13 MPG with 9,500 lbs but I'm on flat roads, no stops and don't go very fast. I've had both trucks and for the intermediate loads you suggest, I would prefer my Tundra.

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #7  
I am in the same quandary and have been investigating very heavily for months. I really would like to purchase a Toyota due to their inherent reliability, but the Tundra is about a generation behind GM and Ford in the heavy duty 1/2 ton truck department in many areas including towing, fuel mileage and options.

My 10.4k pound equipment trailer would only be towed rarely with its max weight and seldom with a lesser load. But I want a truck that is rated to tow my maximum load with as much head room as possible. So the truck would mainly be used without towing and not as my primary vehicle.

I have driven a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 with max tow option, along with a Chevy 5.3 4x4 with max tow option. The Chevy rides and drives more like a car while the Ford drives more like a truck. The Ford EB has more acceleration at any speed, but the Chevy is close. Neither OEM is willing to provide > than ~ 10% off sticker for a 2015; 2014s are a lot less but do not meet my feature and fuel mileage needs (Ford). Sticker pricing is $52k (Ford Lariat+) and $49k (Chevy LTZ+ and GMC SLT+). I currently have AAA buying service getting me pricing on all three.

But since my heavy duty usage is seldom, I may just go back to my original plan of a quality used, Ford or GM 3/4 ton, 4x4, relatively low mileage, maybe 2008 - 2010 with a large V8 gas engine. I also have a large investigation packet on these.

If tow rating is important to you, consult this as a quick reference guide Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine, which was instrumental in helping me narrow down my choices to where I am at now.

I would prefer the Ford for a bit more towing and carrying capacity, a bit more power and rated gas mileage and the ability to also have the off road suspension in conjunction with the max towing package. With Chevy or GMC one can have either the max towing or Z71- but not both combined.

Edit: I prefer the GM products as a daily driver.

/ Tundra vs. Chevy
Thanks for all the input...a buddy of mine has a 18' tilt deck bumper pull he is going to let me use to load the tractor on and test the tundra and silverado 1500...the weight will be pretty much the same as my 20' LowBoy Gooseneck with the tractor on it...I'm going to the toyota dealership tomorrow to try out a tundra and plan on bringing it home and pulling the tractor with it...then I'll try out a silverado later in the week

/ Tundra vs. Chevy #9  
I thought, in general, you weren't supposed to tow a load until you get around 1k miles on a new truck.

Hopefully these dealers are letting you tow with demo's and not brand spanking new trucks.

Another reason I always order. You have no idea how the miles are put on a new one on the lot.

/ Tundra vs. Chevy
Maybe they have demos at the lot not sure though...but the way i see it is if I'm going to spend 40k+ on a new truck I want to make sure what it will do before I sign the papers