need a new trailer for a L35

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was wondering what is a good trailer 10,000 lb max either 16' or 18'? that would be good for getting my L35 TLB around, and if possable hauling cars if needed. Should I get a Beavertail and what are good brands under $3000.00? I like trailers that have the little rails on the side incase I put small stuff they are less likely to fall off. Any comments on Hudson or Custom trailers?

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #2  
Allen,
I've got the 18foot maclander. It's pretty well built. I've abused the heck out of mine and it's still going strong.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #3  
Alan,
10,000lbs should be more than enough for your L35,and I would think the 18 footer would be better just in case you decide to haul your tractor w/other goods or attachment..plenty of room.
When we bought 18 footer for the farm years ago brakes on the trailer and tire size was our main concern..check close.
What kind of ramps are you looking for..fold down ramps..slide ramps..tilt bed etc..
Are you thinking of iron or aluminum trailer,for aluminum hard to repair if you should get a stress crack.

OOPS..hope I didn't throw a monkey wrench into your plans w/so many questions I bought up. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #4  
Alan, I have a 10,000 lb Hudson beavertail trailer for hauling my L35. I am not sure if it is 16' or 18'. However, I did order the wide body which I believe increases the width by about 12 inches. The only problem I had with the trailer is that a magnet burnt out within the first year. I am still not sure if the brake controller failed and burnt out the magnet or the magnet failed and burnt out the brake controller. Anyway, both did fail. Other than that it has been a great trailer to haul the L35.
Jon

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #5  
I bought a trailer here in Calif. The brand is Carson and is 20 feet long with a load capacity of 10,000lbs. I have a 3710 with Bradco backhoe. I'm glad I didn't buy a smaller one since I fill the trailer pretty much. I also bought the wider body, glad I did. It has the ramps that I drive on but I made sure I added stabilizers which are a real necessity, you can even load while not hooked up to your truck. I would'nt buy anything smaller because the difference in price is just about nothing! The extra length and width only added $400.00 to the total price. The price if I remember correctly was about $2500.

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #6  
Good subject! I too am in the market for a trailer to haul my TC45D with loader and box scraper. I was thinking 18 foot and 10,000 lbs as a minimum.

I would really be interested in knowing what type of rig people are using for towing. I have 1999 GMC 2500 with the 6.0 300 HP gas V8. Is it enough?

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #7  
John,

I have a 2000 Silverado extended cab with the 5.3L. Tow capacity is listed at about 8500 pounds, if memory serves. I used to tow my 25' cuddy cruiser with a '79 suburban 3/4 ton 454, dual axle with brakes on both. (7 mpg towing, 11 not /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif) Boat and trailer are about 7500# to 8500# depending on how much stuff is packed.

The Silverado pulls better and gets 9.8 mpg towing, 15 normal, 18.5 highway. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But the Burban was more solid in cross winds and such. It's all a trade off. Like tractoring, heavy wins.

Whatever you get, be sure it has brakes on both axles. It makes a ton of difference in stopping distance. I actually can stop the Silverado in a shorter distance when towing the boat! Honest. It's more money and takes more maintenance, but I won't go with out 'em.

John Bud

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #8  
JohnT, I agree with John Bud. You've got a good truck for towing; just get the 18' trailer with brakes on both axles and you should be all set.

Bird

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #9  
John,
I've got a Ford 4wd extra cab powerstroke diesel with the propane injection system added for when I need a little extra hp. I love it. Your GMC is a good rig though and should be more than adequate.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ need a new trailer for a L35 #10  
Or get a 10,000lb trailer as your maximum since in many states, 9,999 lbs is the maximum rated trailer capacity before a CDL is required. You will want all 9,999lbs of it since the weight of the trailer and the tractor (5,997lbs L35 & Kubotas hoe) chains, other buckets, tools etc will have you within 1500lbs of that rating. Any 3/4 ton truck or larger is fine, some just make it up the hills faster, Rat...
P.S. Carvers tractor has a little report on a trailer for the L35 exclusively. I don't agree with all of it, you don't have to have a 1 Ton vehicle for example