Trailer for towing tractor

/ Trailer for towing tractor #11  
DFB, I remember your picture from that thread. I'll have to check the steel size next time I'm out shopping. Thanks for the pointers and links.

We tow a fifth wheel camper with out F250HD Crew Cab 4X4. 460, 5 spd w/ 4:10 axles. 11mpg average, best ever 14, as low as 6 while towing. We're around 15K lbs fully loaded.

I've got a Reese electronic brake controller (non-pendulum). I really don't like it, but it works.

Thanks again for the info /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #12  
I use a 16ft. made by Star Mfg. works well for the few time a year that I use it. I have had 3 different cars on it, and a zamboni with no problems. With the tractor (B8200) you don't even feel it back there, and thats using a jeep to tow with! (see photo attached) It has brakes on one axle, rated for 7000lbs, and is made of 4"x4"x1/4" angle iron with stake pockets with wood floor. I made longer ramps (6ft.) for use with cars and they slide out. I like this better than a fold up in case of something long that needs to hang out the back.

18-30445-von.gif

Attachments

• 5-35689-trailer.jpg
    5-35689-trailer.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,706
   / Trailer for towing tractor #13  
Von, that's real similar to the one I'm looking at. Glad to hear it's working for you. It does look like quite a load for the Jeep though /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Nice looking house you got there /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #14  
Rob,
Yeh, the Jeep is a little underpowered for it on a long haul, but I use it only a few times in the summer to bring my tractor to my Antique shop (house in photo) which is 12 miles from home.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #15  
There are many brands of utility trailers out there. Generally you get what you pay for. Most run between $1200 and $2500 for a 16ft. long by 6 and a half foot wide in my area. This includes brakes on one axle with new tires and wheels. I suggest a 16-18 ft. long trailer with the new tires and wheels. You sure don't want some old abused tires and bent old wheels when you're hauling your tractor. Be sure to get a trailer break-away kit for the electric brake system. Also, make sure your tow vehicle can handle the job. I recommend a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller for the vehicle.I have a L21350DT with LB400 loader and a Woods RB60 rear blade. I tow it on a 16x6.5 ft tandem axle trailer with one brake axle. The trailer has a GVW of 7000lbs. Fortunately I have a Chevy C60 flatbed dump truck (my other toy) that pulls the loaded trailer with ease. Hopefully my 2 cents helped.

/ Trailer for towing tractor #16  
Jim and Rob.. I have a L2650-TBL total weight about 5500 lbs. carring on a 18 foot trailer with two 3500 lbs axels, one with brakes. You can get a nice trailer like this $1000-$1200. With your tractors this will work great... But if you upgrade tractors you will be pushing the limit on a 7000lbs trailer. The single axel brakes does fine, would not think about upgrading to double axel brakes unless you plan on a lot of trailering.

/ Trailer for towing tractor #17  
I have a Eagle brand trailer. 8'6" wide 18' dove tail, removeable ramps, stake pockets, wood floor, 10 ply tires, brakes on both axles. I really like it. It is a car trailer, a chevy suburban with running boards fits real nice on it. I found it 3 years old with new rubber, looks good to, paid $1100 for it. what a BARGIN, I chuckled all the way home.

/ Trailer for towing tractor #18  
Grant: I've got a 16' custom trailer with tandem wheels, with one brake, with a 7000 lb. rating and trailer tires with 3500 lb. ratings each. I recently hauled my L3710 with front end loader and tiller 1200 miles behind my F250 diesel. I was worried before the trip, but I never noticed the trailer back there, and it hauled perfectly.

DaveH

/ Trailer for towing tractor
Thanks to all who posted with their trailer advice. I will likely be getting some sort of trailer this spring but unfortunately my plan to replace or add to my 8N will be on hold for a year due to unforeseen financial snafus. I'll most likely be hauling my 8N and mower around. With the above advice I'll be in a better position when I look at some local outfits. Thanks everyone.
18-32934-tractorsig2.JPG

/ Trailer for towing tractor #20  
Von,

What would you estimate the total weight of your loaded trailer is? I have a nissian pathfinder and have almost come to the conclusion that its not enough truck to pull all but the smallest of tractors.....?