Trailer for towing tractor

/ Trailer for towing tractor #1  

GrantMO

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410
Not sure if this is an implement exactly but I wanted to see what people's experience is with flatbed trailers for moving their tractor. What's the best brand out there? Who makes a reasonably priced trailer for this purpose? I'm thinking about a bumper pull, 16-18 foot. Can you pull a compact tractor on a car trailer, are the ramps strong enough? Thanks in advance for all these questions.
18-32934-tractorsig2.JPG

/ Trailer for towing tractor #2  
Hi Grant, I don't have a trailer yet but I can tell you what I've learned so far...

Stick with a tandem axle. There are two axle weights for the trailers most of us are looking at: 3500 and 5000 giving you trailer GVWRs of 7000 and 10000 pounds. The 10000 pounders seem to run about a thousand bucks more. Stick with 18 foot and get the wide body. I'm looking at a 7000 M&M through MSI trailers in Elkhart. It has brakes on one axle and slide in ramps. Wood floor with stake pockets on the sides. It's a cheapie, but my 790 is towards the light end and I won't be hauling it too much. Remember that the carrying capacity of the trailer will be the GVWR minus the actual trailer weight. I figured with my tractor and all the toys I may eventually accumulate, I'll be within the limits. Your tow vehicle will also play a role in the capacity. I can explain the tow vehicle ratings if you want.

The better trailers will have a "rub rail" welded on outside of the stake pockets. Brakes on both axles are available (and required to be DOT legal for commercial hauling). I didn't even look at tilt beds and steel decks for they were well out of my price range. Hope this helps, and good luck /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #3  
Hi Rob! I too am looking for a trailer. You didn't mention a price range that you found. I have a L3010 with backhoe and loader...I think around #5000 total, so I'm also thinking #7000 lbs.
My question is, can I get a good trailer with brakes between $1500 and $2000?

Jim

18-32244-Jimsig1.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #4  
Jim,

I have a 3410, but no backhoe. I thought that from reading the Tips section of Steve Carver's website, he lists the FEL at about 1400 pounds and the tractor is about 3000 pound. Loaded tires add about 400 per side. So, 3000+1400+400+400= 5200 pounds. Trailer weight for an 18' is about 1000 pounds, so you have 800 pounds for the backhoe and you will be right up at the limit. Is that going to be pushing it too close to the edge of safety, or not? It's up to you to choose.

I will be getting a trailer this year also, but I have not faced the wants vs afford$ yet. Around here, Wisconsin, they have small trailer manufacturers that do make decent ones in the $1500-2000 range. As always, more options make for more $$$.

Take care,
John Bud

/ Trailer for towing tractor #5  
Grant, I have a B2910. I also have a car hauler trailer (that I bought to haul cars). It's 16' and extra wide. It's from Texas, made by Top Hat Mfg. It works great for hauling my tractor. I use it all the time since my "farm" is about 17 miles from my house. Think I paid about $1300 for it 4 years ago.

Larry...

/ Trailer for towing tractor #6  
The 7000 pound trailer I'm looking at is $1245, which seems like quite a bargain to me. Here's a picture Trailer /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It comes with used tires on plain (probably used) steel rims, slide in ramps and brakes on one axle. They do offer new tires on white spoker rims for more money. The 10K trailer they sell is about $2400 with new tires/rims and it has brakes on both axles.

I wanted flip up ramps, but couldn't get them at this price. I'll just add that to my welder justification list sometime down the road /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Hope this helps /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #7  
See the "need a trailer" thread in Kubota owning for a similar conversation.
I've been shopping for a trailer for my B21. The dealers are all trying to sell me these huge aircraft carriers! What I have rented and will want to buy is the smallest possible unit as I often need to get it into very tight spaces, steep winding hills etc.. So I think I may just have to spec one. No more than 16' long, just wide enough to clear the tractor tires, duals w/brakes,stake pockets, fold down ramps -good advice if getting the slide out ramps is the drop down pipe supports at the back corners, fold down ramps take care of this as long as they are not in the way of anything when folded up. I carry the box blade, auger and misc. equip. in the truck bed. Makes for the mostest in the smallest. I can almost park all that stuff into in yer kitchen nook!

/ Trailer for towing tractor #8  
Take a look at the posts in the Kubota section. I would think twice about a 7,000 lb trailer as they are all light duty. They tend to flex and bounce a lot. You can watch them flex going done the road with a load. Flexing is not all that bad but it can be a control issue at times. I would never put a L series on it and feel safe. Can it be done? Sure. But you'd be better off to go with a heavier trailer. Also think about your maximum length for the future. I had a 16 foot 7,500 lb trailer and it would not fit a B2150 with loader and rotory cutter on it without the cutter hanging over the front. I have a 20 foot 12,000 gross trailer now and would never turn back. Trust me, I tried to save a little money, been there, done that, put up with old trailer for 4 years and am finally happy now.

Brad, Kubota L3010HST, loader, R4 tires
Pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=179207&a=9183978

/ Trailer for towing tractor #9  
Rob, the trailer looks alot like the one I have. Shown in the thread More Green.

As for trailers, what I've seen is that they look a lot alike but there are differences. The Car*Mate Car Hauler has 5" channel for the tongue and the frame is 3"x5"x1/4" angle iron. I checked with both the dealer and manufacturer on the trailer gvw, #3000 is what it weighs.
Some of the Landscape trailers have the same gvwr/gvar but are only 2"x3" angle iron. There has been a lot of discussion in the past on this board about brake controllers too. The one I have is made by Tekonsha.

My 1/2 ton has a GCWR of #12,500 and a max trailer rating of #7800. The truck has a gvwr of #6400, the 4100 weighs about #2400 with loader and wheel weights, the trailer #3000. If the truck was fully loaded the total weight would be #11,800 without any attachments.

Here are two links to trailer manufacturers that I have.
Mid-Atlantic
CarMate

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ Trailer for towing tractor #10  
I hear ya Brad! I normally don't buy cheap but I just can't justify the heavier trailer right now (and the heavier price tag). My tractor is at the lighter end for a compact. From what I've seen, these car hauler trailers are pretty easy to sell when upgrade time comes. The one I'm looking at is 18'. Did you make out OK when you upgraded?

BTW, great looking rig ya got there /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RobS on 02/28/01 01:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>