16K trailer

/ 16K trailer #1  

1gr8bldr

Silver Member
Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta and S250Turbo Bobcat
I have talked to Pro line, Kraftsman, Kaufman, Mikes trailers, PJ and Gatormade. I may be going with Gatormade. I saw some bad feedback in years past history, but this I assume could be corrected in little time so I can't assume it still exist. I am looking for a 16K, 12,000 pound capacity, deckover with the big fold over ramps or pop up dovetail, 20 flat by 5 ft dovetail. Any opinions based on recent experience would be appreciated.

/ 16K trailer #2  
I have talked to Pro line, Kraftsman, Kaufman, Mikes trailers, PJ and Gatormade. I may be going with Gatormade. I saw some bad feedback in years past history, but this I assume could be corrected in little time so I can't assume it still exist. I am looking for a 16K, 12,000 pound capacity, deckover with the big fold over ramps or pop up dovetail, 20 flat by 5 ft dovetail. Any opinions based on recent experience would be appreciated.

By far Gatormade is the most bang for the buck in this area. They are by no means the cream of the crop but they are a lot of trailer for the money.

Chris

/ 16K trailer
Now I can't decide..... I had a new quote come email on one of the trailers mentioned. Not the flare of the Gator but I can get a dual 10 K axles with dual tires, same lengths, difference being a pop up dovetail verses the flat laying ramps that act as a flat dovetail. I need either that pop up or the flip over ramps for carrying long metal sheets from time to time. That is alot of difference for the same price. 8 tires verse 4 with an extra 4000lb capicity. Any cons of a dual wheel trailer. It would seem, but I don't know, that twisting would not be as bad because the weight on each tire is half that of 4 tires????

/ 16K trailer
Question about dual tires: Do the duallies wear out half as fast because less weight when twisting and turning..... when on the open road... or are they the same as single wheels?

/ 16K trailer #5  
Now I can't decide..... I had a new quote come email on one of the trailers mentioned. Not the flare of the Gator but I can get a dual 10 K axles with dual tires, same lengths, difference being a pop up dovetail verses the flat laying ramps that act as a flat dovetail. I need either that pop up or the flip over ramps for carrying long metal sheets from time to time. That is alot of difference for the same price. 8 tires verse 4 with an extra 4000lb capicity. Any cons of a dual wheel trailer. It would seem, but I don't know, that twisting would not be as bad because the weight on each tire is half that of 4 tires????
Another aspect you haven't mentioned is licensing. In this state the difference in $$ between a typical 14K to a 21K trailer is substantial. I pull a spread axle P&J and in my opinion the tire wear is on par with other trailers. The way you drive will make more difference than whether they are singles or duals. The extra capacity of the duals and heavier axles is nice but does come at a cost. Do you need the extra capacity or is it just nice to have? Not for sure but I think if you stay under 26K gross weight, you don't need to worry about the IFTA. Bigger trailers are great in some applications but sometimes, smaller is better.

/ 16K trailer
Another aspect you haven't mentioned is licensing. In this state the difference in $$ between a typical 14K to a 21K trailer is substantial. I pull a spread axle P&J and in my opinion the tire wear is on par with other trailers. The way you drive will make more difference than whether they are singles or duals. The extra capacity of the duals and heavier axles is nice but does come at a cost. Do you need the extra capacity or is it just nice to have? Not for sure but I think if you stay under 26K gross weight, you don't need to worry about the IFTA. Bigger trailers are great in some applications but sometimes, smaller is better.
I guess it seems like free payload, Getting more for the money. Seems like an awesome deal though.

/ 16K trailer #7  
You'll be over the 26K magic number. Do you have your class A?

/ 16K trailer #8  
I vote for the pop up beaver tail unless you can come up with a reason not to. Make sure it has the ramp bars to lock the ramps upright. Are you going to ever carry something longer than 25' and wider than what would fit between the ramps? I have a Moritz 20+5 trailer and I love being able to make full use of the 25'. It is also nice for coming out of oddly angled fields and driveways and not have to worry about dragging the tail. I'd look very closely at the trailers wiring and tires they put on there. Are they name brand axles or knockoffs? Cheap trailer are going to be a headache in a few years when the lights begin to fail and the tires are blowing apart.

/ 16K trailer #9  
Are you looking for a gooseneck or tag along style?

Have you thought about Hudson trailers? I really like my 4T 18' trailer but want to upgrade to a 6 Ton (16k) trailer with a 25' length. I don't want a gooseneck style though.

/ 16K trailer #10  
I had a dual wheel 30' GN with 12K axles. I hated it for the same reasons o hate dually trucks. Maintenance is a SOB. Odd sized tires.

We Now Have A Tri Axle 18K trailer. Much better. Maintenance is a breeze and 16" wheels and tires.

Chris