Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion #1  

Mjl1226

Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Looking for input I have a 21ft Tag trailer that I want to convert to a gooseneck the frame is double stacked 2"x4" 1/4 tube steel. I was thinking of using 2"x6" C chanle for the goose neck any thoughts on the size and form of the steel (C chanle, i beam, tube steal). And befor everyone starts with the just buy a goose neck I will have to shell out quite a bit more for a new trailer than what it would cost to modify this one.

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion #2  
I would go look at a GN with a similar weight rating to your current trailer and copy the design.

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion #3  
Why? You will lower the rating of the trailer. It will add 600 to 800 lbs to the empty weight taking away from the useful load.

Chris

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion
The trailer has the capacity to hold more than what I can currently fit on it in its current configuration. The trailer is a tri axle 21,000 lb trailer that currently weighs in at about 1000lb without the wood deck. I plan to use it mostly for the transport of hay which in its current configuration is only 340 bales before I have reached the dot width and height limits. Beside the fact that I want to.

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion #5  
The trailer has the capacity to hold more than what I can currently fit on it in its current configuration. The trailer is a tri axle 21,000 lb trailer that currently weighs in at about 1000lb without the wood deck. I plan to use it mostly for the transport of hay which in its current configuration is only 340 bales before I have reached the dot width and height limits. Beside the fact that I want to.

Just curious how you will gain more bails? Are you planning on making the deck larger?

As for 1000# empty, I question that. I have a 18' BP that is as light as you can get and its 1400# but only has 7000# GVWR. My tri axle boat trailer is 32' long, 18,000# GVWR, and is 2800#. My 25+5 GN has 25,000# GVWR and is 6800# empty.

Sounds like a fun project and a bit of a challenge.

Chris

/ Advise on a tag to gooseneck conversion #6  
I don't think its going to fit more bales DP, but I think it would pull alot better if it was converted to GN. The tongue weight with 340 symmetrically stacked bales is going to be significant! and 340*60=20400 just in case anyone was wondering. You couldn't pay me to put that trailer behind a pickup with a BP.