Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #1  

jejeosborne

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota/B7800
I purchased this truck as a father son project truck to hopefully spend some quality barn time with my son. It is a 2006 F150 FX4 Lariat. Before some jump to the conclusion that I'm spoiling my son a little bit, well I may be but I feel he is deserving after what he has been through the last 3 months. My son was hit by a drunk driver driving the wrong direction with no head lights on a divided highway back in March killing his friend and critically injuring him and a 3rd friend.

So onto the first phase. Monday we are having a flowmaster 40 dual exhaust installed and spending our first time in the barn installing a new stereo with amp and subwoofers.

Yes in my eyes and most here on this website, this truck will be transformed into a less capable truck. It will be a teenie bopper style truck that many including myself will feel pain seeing some of the changes. I will post progress pics. Here is the starting point with my son.

ForumRunner_20150606_214856.png

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #2  
Cool, experience neither of you will ever forget. Post pics as it comes along.

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #3  
I remember your post when he was involved in the accident.

Have fun with it and just be glad he's still here to have such a project!

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son
I remember your post when he was involved in the accident.

Have fun with it and just be glad he's still here to have such a project!

Yes it has been a long 2 1/2 months. He is taking a driving test Thursday to hopefully be cleared to drive again. He has been diving quite a bit the past couple weeks with me and I think he's ready but want someone else to be the one responsible for saying so.

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #5  
Glad your son's recovering well. That's a really NICE truck. If you can spare the funds and really want to make that truck rock, put on a 6" lift and a set of CHROME Rockstar rims on it. Don't get the black or machined ones, just the chrome set. There's local truck here just like your son's with the 6" lift and chrome Rockstar rims and it looks GREAT with that combination. Wish I had a pic of the truck I'm referring to, but I don't. Keep us posted with the upgrades to it.

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son
Glad your son's recovering well. That's a really NICE truck. If you can spare the funds and really want to make that truck rock, put on a 6" lift and a set of CHROME Rockstar rims on it. Don't get the black or machined ones, just the chrome set. There's local truck here just like your son's with the 6" lift and chrome Rockstar rims and it looks GREAT with that combination. Wish I had a pic of the truck I'm referring to, but I don't. Keep us posted with the upgrades to it.

Lift, wheels and tires are next. Probably ordering those this week. Doing a 6" lift and he wants 20x12 rims with 33" mud terrain tires. Just checking if the geometry will work with that combo. I don't want to have to cut for clearance. Ill tell him to go chrome and I think he is leaning that direction.

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #7  
I remember my 1st truck, a 89 S10 Blazer. I had cars prior to that but nothing like a 4x4.

Chris

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #8  
33s would be to small. 35s minimum! Have fun

Brett

/ Project Truck For 17 Year Old Son #9  
Great to see your son is doing better after that nightmare he and all involved went through.

I had an 06 F150 and ran 305's with just a leveling kit, no lift and it looked and ride great. They're 33" tall. As the previous poster said, 33's will be way too small for a 6" lift. Go too big and you start feeling the loss of power. I guess if it won't be towing anything it will still be fine.