New GPS

/ New GPS #1  

pohorsky

Silver Member
Tractor
to30, sd1643
For several years I have been used an older TomTom one, which works fine, but has one limitation. Often I need to find the location of a business or other item, I'll look under Point of Interests and ocassionally the right place will pop up, but often it will say, nothing found. Do more modern units search for businesses and the like better or am I out of luck?

/ New GPS #2  
Do more modern units search for businesses and the like better or am I out of luck?

Yes, modern models have more current maps, including POIs. Can the map file on your TomTom be updated?

/ New GPS #3  
I thought the point of them was to know were you were going eg 123 Moonville lane. and you just type that in and it sends you to the location.

/ New GPS
Yes, modern models have more current maps, including POIs. Can the map file on your TomTom be updated?

It can, for $65 per year.

I thought the point of them was to know were you were going eg 123 Moonville lane. and you just type that in and it sends you to the location.

It is, but there are times were I am on the road and for one reason or another I have to make an unplanned stop. For example, a couple of weeks ago, after spending some time visiting a friend in Grass Valley, I needed to stop at the Home Depot in Auburn, and didn't know exactly where it was, so I spent the next while trying to find it. It would have been nice to have been able to look up Home Depot in Auburn and get directions.

/ New GPS #5  
Most newer smartphones have GPS and Map apps. Is that an option?

/ New GPS #7  
I was thinking of getting a GPS but we got smartphones with Google Maps first. No reason to get a GPS now. Wherever you are, type in Home Depot or anything else, it tells you where it is and how to get there. No annual fees.

/ New GPS #8  
I hav the garmin nuvi and its fast, accurate and can find most businesses. Has 4 free updates per year. Use it every day as i am electrical contractor and travel to very odd places. Has never let me down

/ New GPS
Most newer smartphones have GPS and Map apps. Is that an option?

Not really. I was informed that I didn't need one. Mine is 2006ish. I'll see about the nuvi. Might be what I am looking for.