Ford 6.4 diesel reviews

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #1  

farm boy00

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere M&MT, Case 1030 comfort king, Sears ST16, Craftsmen 6000, homemade articulation mini-loader
Looking for input on the Ford 6.4 diesel truck motors. I'm looking at a few with it

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #2  
I would take a 6.0 over a 6.4. Reason being the 6.0 can be made ultra reliable and bought right. The 6.4 has too much emissions crap and known radiator issues and piston problems.

The 6.0 issues are cheap and easy to fix comparitivly and has great aftermarket support.

Chris

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #3  
If you can find a 6.4 that was deleted early and not hot rodded, they are hard to beat. Strong motor and tranny. 6.0 are usually cheap and they have a bad rap but as DP said the issues are known and the fix is usually reasonable. Personally I'd try to get a 6.7. Mine has been my favorite truck and it pulls strong.

Brett

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #4  
Sure don't want to own a 6.4 out of warranty !

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews
Thanks you guys much. Still want to see what more people say

Had a 6.0 a few years ago and paid 18,000 and put almost that into it and 4 lying mechanics

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #6  
That is why Ford guys keep talking about the old 7.3. Nothing new worth having.

That is why Ford guys keep talking about the old 7.3. Nothing new worth having.

Got one. Needs tranny work now......

Last edited:
   / Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #8  
2 guys I camp with have 6.0 Ford diesels...One had a preventative "bullet proofing" done on his...Has had no problems...It wasn't cheap but it's done.

Another guy followed the dealer recommendation and basically bought the truck twice with the multi blown head gaskets, blown turbo's etc...The cab has probably been off the truck 5 times in just the past year. Ford didn't stand behind much of anything when this started years ago..I think he got a small check from a class action lawsuit but that didn't help much.

If you find a very knowledgeable diesel mechanic to fix what Ford got wrong before it happens, a 6.0 can be a very good find. I almost bought guy #2's truck last year and was going to send it out..Glad I didn't.

/ Ford 6.4 diesel reviews #9  
If the 6.4 is an 08 model, then walk away from it. The one we had was junk. The 09 model i've been driving was great till 100k miles. After that it started having issues with the regen. Has 114k now, and was towed into ford a month ago. Quit in the middle of the interstate because of the emissions. Told me to pull over safely then quit. Wouldn't allow it to crank over. They had to rwplace all the temp sensors in the exhaust.

I would take a 6.0 over a 6.4. Reason being the 6.0 can be made ultra reliable and bought right. The 6.4 has too much emissions crap and known radiator issues and piston problems.

The 6.0 issues are cheap and easy to fix comparitivly and has great aftermarket support.

Chris

Are you sure they are cheap to fix??? I've owned but not bullet proofed it and put almost as much as paid for it into it