Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #1  

C4Ranch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC
My truck is rated at 13k conventional towing and 14k GN. If I go GN, I gain 1k lbs towing but the trailer will likely be 500 lbs heavier so only gaining 500 lbs towing.

GN trailer will cost abt $500 more plus equiping my truck with hitch will be abt $400.

Bumper pull gains me bed space but a may lose tongue weight but I do already have a weight distributing hitch but find them yet another step when loading.

Truck is a Chevy 2500 6L.

Any other advantages to a GN? What would you do?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
Also, any advantage in a 2 1/2" receiver vs a 2"? Mine is 2 1/2" but I've seen 2" that go up to 16k lbs so why would I want a 2 1/2?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #3  
The towing limit is your Gross combined vehicle weight rating. What loads are you going to use the trailer for. Small loads ... a BP is doable. When you're moving large, heavy loads, the GN is the clear winner.
The biggest advantage of a GN is the stability. A bumper pull trailer has a 4 foot lever to move the truck around while towing. Also, a GN may be jack-knifed.

I pull a 35 foot horse trailer & a 24 foot flat bed ... Both GN.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #4  
The goose neck places more weight on the front wheels of the truck. I have both. and the goose neck is much more maneuverable and better handling. You could put a bed on top of the gooseneck part. I like my bumper pull stock trailer. because I can also place a stock rack on the Pk bed. In in the process of converting my bumper pull trailers to pintle hitches. and would like to convert my tilt top flat bed to gooseneck.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #5  
How much weight are you wanting to pull? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Yes, GN's seem much more stable.

As far as maneuvering, I wouldnt say a GN is "more" maneuverable. But its a different kind of maneuverable. Yes, you can jacknife them and get them into and out of some tight areas. But they also dont follow the truck well at all. They cut corners very short. You need a WIDE approach to your driveway, or turning in you will always be running the inside tires off the drive. Same with backing in. To keep the trailer on a narrow drive backing in, throws your front tires in the ditch across the road. A BP trailer is alot better pulling in and backing in a driveway that is narrower

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #6  
As far as maneuvering, I wouldnt say a GN is "more" maneuverable. But its a different kind of maneuverable. Yes, you can jacknife them and get them into and out of some tight areas. But they also dont follow the truck well at all. They cut corners very short. You need a WIDE approach to your driveway, or turning in you will always be running the inside tires off the drive. Same with backing in. To keep the trailer on a narrow drive backing in, throws your front tires in the ditch across the road. A BP trailer is alot better pulling in and backing in a driveway that is narrower

i'm with you here, there are places i can take a 28ft enclosed trailer that i can't take my 27ft GN because i can't make a turn without putting one sides of tires into the ditch

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #7  
You can turn a GN around where a BP would wimper at. The gn reacts to a turn slowly at first but the angle of turn caN be much sharper. I will only partially agree about the narrow driveway comment. Swing into the other lane a bit or have a truck that turns sharper and it's not a big deal. For a 2500 gas motor I think you are at the max with a 14k gn. The trailer will haul alot more than the Truck will handle if you don't get a cheaply made trailer. What is your intended loads op?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #8  
I have switched virtually every trailer I own to goosenck. I own four gooseneck trailers and I love them. They pull so much better than a bumper pull. I have pulled 14k bumper pull trailers before and they work but personally if I was getting anything larger than a single axle trailer I would get a gooseneck.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #9  
I've had both a 28 ft BP and a 28 ft GN. If I ever got another trailer that size, ,or larger it would be BP.

The GN backs up like crap....really really hard to do as the pivot point is over the axle.

My BP trailer was so well balanced and followed the truck so well that I could very easily forget it was behind me.

You still get to use your truck body to carry stuff as well.

I vote BP all the way.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #10  
My truck is rated at 13k conventional towing and 14k GN. If I go GN, I gain 1k lbs towing but the trailer will likely be 500 lbs heavier so only gaining 500 lbs towing.

GN trailer will cost abt $500 more plus equiping my truck with hitch will be abt $400.

Bumper pull gains me bed space but a may lose tongue weight but I do already have a weight distributing hitch but find them yet another step when loading.

Truck is a Chevy 2500 6L.

Any other advantages to a GN? What would you do?

Have you considered that you may have a need for both?