Just bad luck with Trailers

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So I've posted on here regarding a 20' 14k equipment trailer that I bought new in 2011 that's never been right. From tires that blew out with less than 2000 miles, suspension issues and a strange vibration issue that know one could seem to resolve. Based on this I decided to buy a new 22' PJ even though I knew I would loose a lot of money not to mention being a pain to sell one and buy another. So the PJ arrives with standard axles vs Torsen. Now they're telling me that PJ shipped the correct axles and that the dealer will switch them out. How concerned should I be about this? Seems to me getting them positioned correctly front to back and aligned properly will be difficult for a dealer to do. Especially since this is something they normally do not do. Thoughts?

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #2  
I would think most competent trailer dealers should be able to swap out and align up the axles as good as it could be done in the factory. It's not like they use a digital alignment machine when the trailer was built to set the thing up. I used to help my Dad years ago line up cars [ axle position on leaf spring/toe/etc. ] with a string, ruler, and a long straight stick. I think they use a similar method to make sure the axles are tracking properly. Your first trailer might have been way out. I know that a strong side wind will also be hard on tires, too. Good luck, Jerry ...

/ Just bad luck with Trailers
Ok. I'm going in first thing Monday to talk to them and want to be informed before I get there.

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #4  
You can check everything out when you get home. Just to make sure they tightened up everything correctly on the springs. You can do a quick alignment check by placing a straight two by four across the set of tires on each side to see if the line up fairly good. I like to pull the tires off each wheel on something new like that and make sure you can loosen a possibly over torqued/cross threaded wheel nut.

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #5  
So I've posted on here regarding a 20' 14k equipment trailer that I bought new in 2011 that's never been right. From tires that blew out with less than 2000 miles, suspension issues and a strange vibration issue that know one could seem to resolve. Based on this I decided to buy a new 22' PJ even though I knew I would loose a lot of money not to mention being a pain to sell one and buy another. So the PJ arrives with standard axles vs Torsen. Now they're telling me that PJ shipped the correct axles and that the dealer will switch them out. How concerned should I be about this? Seems to me getting them positioned correctly front to back and aligned properly will be difficult for a dealer to do. Especially since this is something they normally do not do. Thoughts?

Are the Thorsen axles regular spring axles, or torsion axles? If they are spring axles of the same weight rating, odds are good that they can just bolt the new axle to the same spring mounts on the trailer.

Aaron Z

Sorry they are Torsion axles. Rubber damping vs springs. Standard spring axles were shipped on it though.

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #7  
I think all the spring "hangers" will need to be cut off the frame and the torsion axles will need to be bolted or welded on. Not so sure I'd be happy with a dealer doing this, or any frame modifiactions that might be needed. I've never studied a torsion suspension, but I would think that the ride height and/or fender clearance would be waaay off from an regular spring axle. I'd refuse it.

I think all the spring "hangers" will need to be cut off the frame and the torsion axles will need to be bolted or welded on. Not so sure I'd be happy with a dealer doing this, or any frame modifiactions that might be needed. I've never studied a torsion suspension, but I would think that the ride height and/or fender clearance would be waaay off from an regular spring axle. I'd refuse it.
Fenders wouldn't go on which is why the issue was discovered. I'm going to look at it first thing Monday. If I have concerns I'm not taking it. I can't tell you how put out I am right now with this entire issue. I haven't even sold my old trailer yet and my new one is already ?#%¥ ⬆️

/ Just bad luck with Trailers #9  
Sounds like a mess. Unless it is a bolt on fix I would give them the trailer back and wait for the next one.