Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
I just finalized the deal on a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD crew cab 4x4 and was wondering what kind of mileage are you guys getting, I'm not expecting spectacular just curious. Thanks' Charlie.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #2  
Charlie,

I purchased a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Double Cab 4x4 6.0 gasser just over a year ago. The best I've seen is about 15mpg. The average is about 11 mpg. If you're pulling a load, it goes down from there.

I made a 1300 mile round-trip last month, pulling a 12x16 Uhaul covered trailer full of furniture. My average was 10.8 mpg, which is better than I had expected.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #3  
I had one, much older, a 1999, but I seemed to get about 12 loaded or empty. A 3/4 ton truck is designed to pull things, not be a commuter vehicle.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #4  
I have a 2008 ext.cab long box 4x4 3/4 ton 6lt. worst mileage it's ever got was this summer when it was real hot out pulling a 9,000 lb. trailer 10.75 mpg. best I've ever got on a trip empty was 19 mpg. That's with 7.2 rear end
6 speed auto.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #5  
Had my 2015 Silverado Z71 3500 6.0 long bed double cab 4X4 for about 6 months now.

Not sure how accurate but it's currently showing this.

Idaho 8-15 039.JPG

Had a bumper pull dump trailer with a load of old concrete and pulled on the scales and had a max (or a tad more) GCWR and pulled it very well for a gasser.

Last edited:
   / Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #6  
Got 4.1k miles on my LTZ. Hit my 50 mile best avg today at 17.7. Usually my per tank avg is around 14 which is around my truck life since I've owned it. This includes some light towing, havent loaded it up yet.

This is a 2500 crew 4x4 with 4.11's

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #7  
Mine usually gets 12 mpg city type driving, about 13.5 highway and 10 towing

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #8  
I bought a ford super duty in January with the 6.2 and I put it to pencil and paper every tank. The best I have gotten is 13.3 this is mostly driving back and forth to work. Pulling my trailer with the tractor and all accessories the best I have got is 11.2. I have not gone on any long trips as it is only about 45 miles to the hunting property from the house. I am hoping it gets better as it gets broke in I just turned 8000 miles on it.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #9  
Wow, you guys make me feel good about my 06 F250 Crew 4X4. Empty on Hwy is 16, loaded, pulling, anything to disrupt air flow is 8.

/ Real world Chevrolet 6.0 gas mileage in 2500 HD #10  
My 2015 2500HD 6.0L LT Z71 4.10 6 speed auto Double cab with standard box, with snow plow prep package has gotten around 14.5 average for all vehicle miles to date (at just over 10,000 miles now) and has averaged around 17-18 on road trips. That was with E15 gas. it is now on E85 fuel and the average for all miles.. rural two lanes, gravel roads, off road, in town, highway, etc, is around 12.7. So lost about 2 mpg with the E85, but price wise I am still ahead as E85 is costing 2 cents a mile less to use even with the lower mpg. Granted, I don't drive it like a sports car and use traffic lights as my own cheap form of NHRA starting lights or try and beat everyone to the exit ramp on the freeway. But I don't drive down the road at 55 either. Just good, common sense driving I have learned over the years to get 25% better fuel economy from my semi trucks than the general trucking average mpg.

I did lower the back rake 2" with a set of McGaughy's shackles early on, and when empty, I don't run the stupid OEM recommended tire pressures of 60 PSI up front and 70 PSI in the back. I run about 50-55 all the way around when empty. I only inflate them up somewhat when I am going to load up with something. Contrary to what one would expect, by lowering the tire pressures, I picked up a little better fuel economy. The only thing I can figure out, is that with the OEM pressures, the rear wheel hop on gravel and bumpy roads was such that the anti-slip feature was continuously micro braking and other stuff so that fuel was being wasted. I have no definitive proof, just an assumption.

For commercial heavy truck tires, the tire makers usually have loading / pressure charts that show proper PSI for the tire loading. I contacted Michelin to provide one for the stock tires on my 2500HD, but they just punted the ball back to GM, who just has just blanket PSI recommendations of when the pickup is at max GVWR. The tires are rated for 80 PSI. My commercial semi tires are rated for 130 PSI, but recommended pressures for the max axle weight I haul is 95 PSI. I used similar differences to go with 50-55 PSI (when empty) on my pickup tires, and it seems to be working great. Tire wear is good, ride is better, and fuel economy a little better. for what it's worth.

Last edited: