Best way to support rear of trailer....

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #1  

buddy48

Tractor
Kubota L3901
The trailer that I have unlimited access to for hauling my tractor needs a little tweaking. Every time I unload my tractor the back end of the trailer dips which causes the ramps to come unhooked from the rear of the trailer. I have been throwing around several different ways to prevent this:

1. Cut the legs off the ramps.
2. Block the back end of the trailer with two 4x6痴.
3. Put some drop leg jack stands.
4. Put a foldable metal brace/frame underneath the rear of the trailer that could swing down.

Which way is the BEST way you think? I'm not looking for cheapest or quickest, but the best way regardless of cost. I have access to all the things required to make any of the above.

And, if you have the same or similar problem what was your solution?

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #2  
Picture would help but probably drop leg or swivel jacks.

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #3  
Need to add something to my trailer too. I'm putting WAY too much upward stress on the hitch when loading.

My current plan is to add 2 pieces of 2" square tubing hinged on the rear crossmember. They'll fold forward (foot toward front of trailer) and clip into the up position for stowing. To deploy them, just pull the release and they swing down into place.

I want them to hinge forward and backward for those unfortunate times to forget to raise them before I move the trailer, the hinges take care of it.
Hush! You know it'll happen to you too. :)

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #4  
I just use a set of $10 HF jack stands. I set them 2" lower than the trailer when empty but tight when loaded so the don't get binded up.

Chris

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #5  
I just use a set of $10 HF jack stands. I set them 2" lower than the trailer when empty but tight when loaded so the don't get binded up.

Chris

Same here.

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #6  
I have the drop leg jacks on my trailer , also come in handy if I have a flat

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #7  
I used 6x6 blocks -- just got an 8' long landscape timber and sawed it into six 16" blocks. Stacked two under each corner of the trailer. Even when not trailering, I used them for all sorts of projects and rigging, so they are handy to have around.

I don't trailer my tractor much anymore, but if I did I'd weld some drop leg jacks to the rear corners. They have ones that don't crank, so they are fast to drop and raise. Can weld them on with or without a swivel.

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #8  
I keep blocks of various thickness in the basket of the trailer. Then it is easy to adjust to uneven ground.

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #9  
I bought a topwind trailer jack that has the mount/pivot right at the top of the jack, and that has 10 inches of travel. I welded the mount tube in the middle of the rear of the trailer. The jack fits to the mount tube with a pin so I only have it on when loading or unloading. When using it I lower the jack till it is just off the ground. You just have to make sure the jack has enough travel so that when the trailer squats under load you will still have travel in the jack.

/ Best way to support rear of trailer.... #10  
I have used blocking also.