Why I hate ST trailer tires

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #1  

Sprinklerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 1925 Kubota bx 24
I was out today striping a parking lot about 20 miles from home . On the return trip I heard a noise and I looked in my passanger side mirror . I watched my fender fly off and the tread from my tire go all over . The one thing I didnt hear was the flop ,flop of a flat tire . I am DONE with these chinese trailer tires . Going all LT truck tires . Overloaded ? Not even close . Wrong pressure , nope tire still had 35 psi in it when I got home . Old tire , it was 3 years old . I The only good thing is it made it 5 miles riding on the casing

Attachments

• science 040.jpg
    science 040.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 399
  • science 041.jpg
    science 041.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 361
   / Why I hate ST trailer tires #2  
I don't think any of the Far-Eastern sourced tires are worth a flip. (China, India, Korea, Vietnam, etc.) They haven't perfected the manufacture of any rubber products as far as I'm concerned. Hoses, tires or even rubber bands. They just don't hold up or last. Natural color turns to goo and black cracks and turns to powder. I've had some 2-year old ching-chang tires blowout sitting parked and others develop blisters on the sidewall or loose the tread like yours. I wouldn't even use them now on a carnival ride.

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #3  
I was out today striping a parking lot about 20 miles from home . On the return trip I heard a noise and I looked in my passanger side mirror . I watched my fender fly off and the tread from my tire go all over . The one thing I didnt hear was the flop ,flop of a flat tire . I am DONE with these chinese trailer tires . Going all LT truck tires . Overloaded ? Not even close . Wrong pressure , nope tire still had 35 psi in it when I got home . Old tire , it was 3 years old . I The only good thing is it made it 5 miles riding on the casing

35 psi is the wrong pressure. I know of no ST tire 14" and above rated for anything less than 50 psi. Do some reading on running a ST tire just 10% below max pressure.

Chris

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #4  
35 psi is the wrong pressure. I know of no ST tire 14" and above rated for anything less than 50 psi. Do some reading on running a ST tire just 10% below max pressure.

Chris

Are you saying 10% of 50psi means there is a hazard at 45 psi? If so, should they be rated for road use?

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #5  
The tire volume increased when the tread blew off. The pressure was possibly higher seconds before the tread blew off.

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #6  
Went with a set of Greenball on my business trailer last year. Approximately 5k miles on them now with no appreciable signs of wear. I could not say the same for the Chinese tires that came with the trailer and had fewer miles.

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #7  
In the OP's picture, it looks like WWII recap to me.

BTW, my ST Greenball tires were made in China, but seem to perform okay for my non-commercial and occasional
use.....just sayin'

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #8  
The tire volume did not change significantly when the tread failed, the belts that hold the air envelope are in the casing.

This same thing happened to my wife two weeks ago with our trailer, I think it was a combination of tire quality and dry-rot, although they looked OK before she left and was correctly inflated.

As to inflation pressure, a Michelin guy told me 20 years ago the "rule of thumb" is that anything less than 75% of the "MAX COLD" inflation pressure is UNSAFE!

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #9  
Are you saying 10% of 50psi means there is a hazard at 45 psi? If so, should they be rated for road use?

I'm saying run the tires at max PSI. Trailer tires are maintained differently than auto and truck tires.

Chris

/ Why I hate ST trailer tires #10  
The tire volume did not change significantly when the tread failed, the belts that hold the air envelope are in the casing. This same thing happened to my wife two weeks ago with our trailer, I think it was a combination of tire quality and dry-rot, although they looked OK before she left and was correctly inflated. As to inflation pressure, a Michelin guy told me 20 years ago the "rule of thumb" is that anything less than 75% of the "MAX COLD" inflation pressure is UNSAFE!

Yep. Ask Firestone about that one. They had major issues with Explores running too low psi.

Chris