MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I guess I've been asleep for about 20 years...

My brother is in the market for a new pickup and towing capacity along with being able to take the family are at the top of his list.

He has narrowed it down to the F150 crew cab with a 6.5' bed. There are plenty of crew cabs and most have the 5.5' bed.

MSRP on dealer lots around here show plenty in the 60k+ range...

So far about 7k off MSRP has been about the best he has been able to negotiate... still lots of money.

I'm going to buy a 2003 F150 for 2k and the sales tax on his new truck will be 3x that.

Maybe the 0% interest offered is bringing in the buyers... because they sure do seem to be selling.

Max Tow is 12,200 which is why the F150 would work for him... he is at 7500 now and has dump and stock trailers to move...

Unless he is towing a RV... he is limited to 10k with his license.

TBN must be responsible for lots of F150 sales because before reading the comments here... he was only looking at the Super Duty trucks.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #2  
If he is price sensitive why buy new?
An older 250 has that capacity for a lot less.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #3  
If he is price sensitive why buy new?
An older 250 has that capacity for a lot less.

The problem is that the pricing of new trucks has driven up the cost of old trucks- great if you are selling but not so great if you are buying.

"..Maybe the 0% interest offered is bringing in the buyers... because they sure do seem to be selling..."

Yes they are, and mostly the "upper trim" models. It would appear that buyers are not much concerned with the pricing, as
buyers are opting to buy trucks loaded with every option.

(3) weeks ago I bought the cheapest new crewcab 4WD truck I could find- A Nissan Frontier. $26,500.00 cash and it took almost a month
and (3) walk-ins (and 2 walk-outs) of the dealership to get that deal. According to Edmunds and KBB websites I got one h___ of a deal
on it (well below invoice after subtracting the "holdback") , but that is still the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought, by a large margin.

The 6,000 lb towing capacity will handle what I need to haul, and is more than a base Ram 1500 quad cab or base Chevy "work truck" will tow,
and I couldn't get close to that price on those vehicles, never mind the Ford.

A big problem with Ram/Ford/Chevy is that dealers won't stock a basic truck with just a few heavy-duty options. They have "box-stock" trucks
so they can advertise a low price, and everything else is loaded with options.

If I could have found a Ram 1500 with just the few options I wanted, I probably would have bought that, but they all had packages with names like
"appearance", "popular" and "convenience" that ran the price way up, and little in the way of "heavy duty". I saw one Ram 1500 with the electric brake
controller and trailering mirrors, but with the standard 6 and 3.21 gears, it was limited to, like, 4,750 lbs towing. Didn't make any sense to me.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer
Got to please the family...

That said... I'm the one that only buys used and sometimes well used and never sold a vehicle for less than I paid...

Very unusual around here... even the high school parking lots are filled with new cars... parents think nothing of buying new for their kids.

I offered my nephew my 96 Ford pickup... very clean truck, one owner by a retired man before me and no damage history... I was told it was a kind offer... but the safety would be lacking on something so old...

ABS, Airbag Curtains, Stability Control, GPS, Vehicle tracking, road side service, warranty, etc...

What gets me is the Bay Area is known for higher prices and plenty of well to do people... do F150's still sell well outside well to do urban centers?

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer
The problem is that the pricing of new trucks has driven up the cost of old trucks- great if you are selling but not so great if you are buying.

"..Maybe the 0% interest offered is bringing in the buyers... because they sure do seem to be selling..."

Yes they are, and mostly the "upper trim" models. It would appear that buyers are not much concerned with the pricing, as
buyers are opting to buy trucks loaded with every option.

(3) weeks ago I bought the cheapest new crewcab 4WD truck I could find- A Nissan Frontier. $26,500.00 cash and it took almost a month
and (3) walk-ins (and 2 walk-outs) of the dealership to get that deal. According to Edmunds and KBB websites I got one h___ of a deal
on it (well below invoice after subtracting the "holdback") , but that is still the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought, by a large margin.

The 6,000 lb towing capacity will handle what I need to haul, and is more than a base Ram 1500 quad cab or base Chevy "work truck" will tow,
and I couldn't get close to that price on those vehicles, never mind the Ford.

A big problem with Ram/Ford/Chevy is that dealers won't stock a basic truck with just a few heavy-duty options. They have "box-stock" trucks
so they can advertise a low price, and everything else is loaded with options.

If I could have found a Ram 1500 with just the few options I wanted, I probably would have bought that, but they all had packages with names like
"appearance", "popular" and "convenience" that ran the price way up, and little in the way of "heavy duty". I saw one Ram 1500 with the electric brake
controller and trailering mirrors, but with the standard 6 and 3.21 gears, it was limited to, like, 4,750 lbs towing. Didn't make any sense to me.

Very true... no XLT and few Lariats... they did have a line of white work trucks with rubber mats, auto, and A/C... the rest are all Platinum, King Ranch and even a few LTD that I did not see.

Wonder how those all encompassing moon roofs work if you misjudge loading a length of pipe on the lumber rack?

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #6  
"..only buys used.."

I have old used (and abused) mowers and an old diesel tractor, but I wanted a new truck. I bought my previous one new in 2002, and I HOPE to drive this one as long.

As for safety, the driver behind the steering wheel has more control over safety than any electronics/hardware. I see people buying vehicles because of air bags and
anti-lock brakes and "sonar collision avoidance systems", and the moe-rons still tailgate and change lanes without signaling and cause accidents.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #7  
"..they did have a line of white work trucks with rubber mats, auto, and A/C...."

I will wager that they all had the base driveline, meaning limited trailer towing capacity.

A lower axle ratio is like a $50 or $100 option, and makes a world of difference in towing capacity, but the
dealers won't order it that way.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #8  
Ford claims they are competitive in pricing, but you have to spend $2000 on an equipment package just to get cruise control on a standard XL model.

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #9  
Ford claims they are competitive in pricing, but you have to spend $2000 on an equipment package just to get cruise control on a standard XL model.

True, but not limited to Ford.

Requiring one to purchase a "package" of stuff to get the one thing you want is common across the industry, especially so on imports

/ MSRP schock on Ford F150 prices model year 2015 and newer #10  
Yes they sell well in the sticks too.

I'm always amazed at how many people in the south have trucks for no other reason than to get groceries and take out trash. It is more convenient I must say, but a large price to pay for a vehicle.

I tow with mine, can carry the family and take out the trash ;-) . I bought mine in -'07. It was an '06 leftover. F-150 Lariat 4X4. Sticker was $44k. I got huge incentives because of last year's model and I have a large discount at work for automotive supplier deal. Traded in a paid for truck as well, so only ended up financing $22k. Still thought that was crazy money. Fact is, same truck today is considerably more. At that time I could have got a nice diesel 250 or 350 for $50k nicely equipped. Can't do that now either. Wish I had at the time. They had also had a left over 250 diesel for about the same price in a manual tranny but it was an extended cab instead of crew cab and not as well appointed. To this day, I kick myself for not buying that one instead.