Tri-Mount Ball set-up question.

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #1  

woodskiff

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 BX25DLB-1
I live with multiple trailers, yard trlr ..1,000 gvw, boat 1,000+ trlr, (1"7/8). RV, 8,000 dedicated tow/sway set-up and now my flat bed 7,000 flat trailer for my tractor. What do you think of them in terms of safety and on the road confidence? Thanks:confused2:

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #2  
I personally don't like 1 7/8" couplets and balls. I simply replace the coupler to 2". Cost so about $12.

Then I use a dedicated bar and ball for 2" and one for 2 5/16" stuff.

Chris

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #4  
This is the best receiver mount hitch I have ever used. I have had the two ball one since 2012 and have pulled a ton of trailers probably in excess of 100k miles with it.

Tow & Stow? - Receiver Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches

I've been wanting one of those BW hitches for a long time - but I can't see buying a 2" version when I need a 2.5". I don't know if this will ever happen. The following is from their web site:

Does B&W have plans to offer a Tow & Stow with a 2.5” receiver?

Considering that the ratings of most 2.5" receiver hitches are higher than the ratings of 2" receiver hitches, it doesn't seem wise to increase the shank size from 2" to 2.5" without also increasing the weigh capacity of the hitch. Although designs have been tested, satisfactory strength ratings have not yet been achieved. We are currently working to find the right combination of design and materials to make a higher rating possible.

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #5  
I live with multiple trailers, yard trlr ..1,000 gvw, boat 1,000+ trlr, (1"7/8). RV, 8,000 dedicated tow/sway set-up and now my flat bed 7,000 flat trailer for my tractor. What do you think of them in terms of safety and on the road confidence? Thanks:confused2:

If you're talking about these, they work fine. They are rated and that should be that. I've had one for 14 years. Its handy if you have multiple trailers, or, if you are asked to tow a friend's trailer, or, borrow a boat, or take a kid to college with a U-Haul, etc.... :thumbsup: $28.53 @ Walmart.

Reese Towpower Tri Ball Draw Bar, Model #7022400 - Walmart.com

k2-_8056d954-bd77-4862-bee2-eed6fad05151.v1.jpg

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question.
If you're talking about these, they work fine. They are rated and that should be that. I've had one for 14 years. Its handy if you have multiple trailers, or, if you are asked to tow a friend's trailer, or, borrow a boat, or take a kid to college with a U-Haul, etc.... :thumbsup: $28.53 @ Walmart.

Reese Towpower Tri Ball Draw Bar, Model #7022400 - Walmart.com

View attachment 446521

That's exactly the item I was looking at. I also use a clamp hitch on the Fel to move the trailers around---thought this might be handy with that and with the truck.

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #7  
The big problem with using straight tri balls with small trailers and larger vehicles like pickup trucks is the hitch height...most time the tounge is lifted too far up and the trailer platform isn't even close to being level....look like a real amateur towing down the road like that. :rolleyes:

We have two to use where I work every trailer we use (my car hauler included) is different a size.

Personally I always use the correct drop and/or rise I need when I am towing otr.

Of course on a tractor bucket all that wouldn't matter anyhow. :thumbsup:

Would be handier and less costly than having assorted ball setups.

I have one to sell...nobody bought it off my tool tables this summer, but they did buy all the assorted different sized drops and balls. One guy wanted to use it with 1 1/4 to 2" adapter I couldn't imagine why he would need 2 5/16! :eek:

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #8  
Those are functional but, man, they sure look hideous. :) Every time I see one on a pickup driving around I smirk and think; "What a confused driver".

I use a Switch Ball setup. Mine is older but looks like this one

Switch Ball.jpg

/ Tri-Mount Ball set-up question. #10  
That's exactly the item I was looking at. I also use a clamp hitch on the Fel to move the trailers around---thought this might be handy with that and with the truck.

If you need to adjust the height these are handy....
Buyers 1802225 Adjustable Tri-Ball Ball Mount

My 92 Suburban is "normal" height. I rarely have to worry about a drop hitch. I do have a single 4" drop with a 1-7/8" ball if I need it.