Tires for dually pickup?

/ Tires for dually pickup? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I need to get new tires for my truck (2006 F350 crew cab long bed dually 4x4). This is the first time tire shopping for a dually truck. Normally I buy all terrains as I do use the truck around the farm and I deal with quite a bit of snow a few months of the year so what should I get? My mechanic has the same setup as I do and he recommends the cooper discover Ht3. My tire guy thinks I should stay with a standard all terrain where as my mechanic thinks the solid outer ribs will hold up better. What do you guys with dually experience think would be the best option. I trust both of these guys but my tire guy has a single rear wheel super duty and no real world personal experience with dual real wheel trucks other than selling tires when one occasionally comes in. Spending $1300 on tires isn't fun so I want them to hold up a couple years like on our single rear wheel trucks.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #2  
I need to get new tires for my truck (2006 F350 crew cab long bed dually 4x4). This is the first time tire shopping for a dually truck. Normally I buy all terrains as I do use the truck around the farm and I deal with quite a bit of snow a few months of the year so what should I get? My mechanic has the same setup as I do and he recommends the cooper discover Ht3. My tire guy thinks I should stay with a standard all terrain where as my mechanic thinks the solid outer ribs will hold up better. What do you guys with dually experience think would be the best option. I trust both of these guys but my tire guy has a single rear wheel super duty and no real world personal experience with dual real wheel trucks other than selling tires when one occasionally comes in. Spending $1300 on tires isn't fun so I want them to hold up a couple years like on our single rear wheel trucks.

Only owned one dually back in 96 and 97 but remember it was more important to have good tires on it vs SRW trucks.

I am sold on the Goodyear DuraTracs. Had them on 3 trucks now.

The Coopers are a good tire also as is Yokohama. I have had good luck with Falken also but they are a trade off. Budget vs performance.

Chris

/ Tires for dually pickup? #4  
I'd stay away from Cooper Discover.

I had a set that was sh*t. Let the same guy talk me in to a second set for a huge discount. They were also junk.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #5  
Only owned one dually back in 96 and 97 but remember it was more important to have good tires on it vs SRW trucks.

I am sold on the Goodyear DuraTracs. Had them on 3 trucks now.

The Coopers are a good tire also as is Yokohama. I have had good luck with Falken also but they are a trade off. Budget vs performance.

Chris

I'm having duratracs installed on Tuesday. I've had two sets on my wife's trucks. They've been great.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #6  
I've been looking at options on "tire rack dot com"... it's nice that they have ratings, miles driven, performance characteristics, pricing, and recommendations for each vehicle--whether you buy there or not, its a good source for information. The "E" rating is the limiting factor for DRW options, and it ups the price considerably. I have general altimax snow tires on our two cars, and they are fantastic, but don't carry the tow rating for DRW. You pay for the extra plies and rating as trucks get heavier, and lose a lot of options. It'd be a good starting point to determine your budget, and whether you're looking for durability, wet road performance, ice traction, etc.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #7  
I have Dunlop Mud Rovers on my 4x4 and I won't have another set. I am going back to Pro-Comps even if I have to step up a size. Pro-Comp stopped making 30x9.5x15's so I will have to go to 31x10.5x15. I have enough clearance on the fenders that IF I wanted I could go as high as 33's, but I would need new rims.

Last edited:
   / Tires for dually pickup?
Budget wise isn't a huge issue. I'm not looking to spend any more than I have to but don't want to waste my money.

What I'm most curious about is the tires for cooper tires I listed have Solid outer ribs which are designed for commercial applications and are supposed to wear better. The all terrains are like most tires with grooves in the outer ribs but my mechanic believes they'll wear fast and possibly uneven.

I do need a tire that is good on pavement as I tow a 31' travel trailer as well as a 14' dump trailer and equipment trailer hauling the tractors and excavator. But I do work off payment often as well so that is why I'd prefer the all terrain tire. Just not sure how well they'll hold up on a dually because of what my mechanic warned me about.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #9  
I would still take what the mechanic said and run with it. The mechanic has a dually, he speaks from experience.

/ Tires for dually pickup? #10  
I have always ran an aggressive mud/snow type tire, on my two dually trucks, I have owned new a 1978 and have a second short bed 1980 one tone,
one thing with a dually your tires on the rear have more float, and when empty you can get stuck on very little snow, when I bought the 78 it had bias tires, and it would get stuck on a 1/3" of snow, the radial tires are much better, but with the dirt roads and blizzards and snow drifts, I want all the traction one can get, if the snow is really bad, take the duels off and run singles with out the dished wheel then the front and rear will track the same, or nearly the same,

most of the time I have been running retreads done by https://www.treadwright.com/?utm_so...il&utm_term=0_c40c145b9d-41d09b3a77-188141093