Got a vanity plate on your vehicle?

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
I just ordered one for my GMC, I love to take pictures so my choice will read: "FSTOP 8"....if you have a vanity plate now, what does it read? And if you wanted to buy one...then what would it say?

Michigan has an online site that lets you check to see if a particular plate is available...since my GMC is driven 99.5% of the mileage in 2-wheel drive, I checked on ordering this one...and the site says it was available:

"TWOHIGH".....try not to laugh, but it was available !!!

Last edited:
   / Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #2  
Couldn't afford a vanity plate, so I changed my name to PMJ-428. :)

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #3  
Only on my American Bantam...

38 Bantm

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #4  
A few years ago I owned a 1955 Olds Super 88.
I Originally got personalized plates for the Olds. It read 55SUPR88. However, when it came time for renewal, personalized plates were way too expensive so I went with historical plates. Now the 55SUPR88 plates are hanging on the garage wall. The classics I have now have State issued historical vehicle plates.

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #5  
I did that for the 1905 Oldsmobile... just went with State Horseless Carriage Plates and the Model T Speedster has Historical Plates.

Was able to find an original pair of 1930 California plates for the 1930 Model A Roadster.

At one time I kept all the vehicles current... not anymore since the cheapest with a standard plate is $100 annually...

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #6  
I did that for the 1905 Oldsmobile... just went with State Horseless Carriage Plates and the Model T Speedster has Historical Plates.

Was able to find an original pair of 1930 California plates for the 1930 Model A Roadster.

At one time I kept all the vehicles current... not anymore since the cheapest with a standard plate is $100 annually...

Historical plates here are $28.75 per year. When I took the pers. plates off the Olds I bought a 1955 original plate at a flea market and registered that plate with the state for $28.75 as a historical vehicle. Pers. plates at the time cost about $155. for 2 years or $77.50 year.
I currently have 2 historic vehicles, 2 regular vehicles, and 3 trailers registered.

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #7  
In IL if pickup truck plates start with a number or car plates end with a number they are personalized plates which are cheaper than vanity plates. I have

1 IL NGN on my 2011 Ram 1500 and 4 ESTR on my 1996 Dakota

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #8  
Historical plates here are $28.75 per year. When I took the pers. plates off the Olds I bought a 1955 original plate at a flea market and registered that plate with the state for $28.75 as a historical vehicle. Pers. plates at the time cost about $155. for 2 years or $77.50 year.
I currently have 2 historic vehicles, 2 regular vehicles, and 3 trailers registered.

Trailers are the one thing we do get a break on... 5 year tag for $18 last I paid.

/ Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #9  
Trailers are the one thing we do get a break on... 5 year tag for $18 last I paid.

No break on trailers here. Mine are registered in Maine. Per trailer I register for 7 years in Maine for $139. for the weight. Under 2000 GVW costs less. Plus you can register a trailer for up to 12 years.
Same price is for 1 year in NY based on registered weight.
Also, to qualify for historical or vintage plates vehicle must be at least 25 years old.

Apologies to the OP for getting off track.

Last edited:
   / Got a vanity plate on your vehicle? #10  
You got a site for the Maine registration? I was going to look into it for my travel trailer. Just got the renewal, $98 for 1/yr. seems kinda high for something I'll probably only be able to use a handful of times this year.