Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #1  

bm3

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1635 , JD 3203 , JD 1070
My dealer is big on backing tractor onto trailer , I find it easier to just drive on back off. I see very few on the road backed on but must say mine does pull a tad better backed on . Anyone back on fans ?

Attachments

• MF1635 Entire view.jpg
    MF1635 Entire view.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 465
   / Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #2  
I think your dealer thinks he is cool doing it that way. Me, Drive on, back off.

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #3  
Dont make any difference. Do whatever is easier for you. If you have selected an adequate trailer in terms of length, it should give you some room to place the load where it tows best. About 10% tongue weight for BP.

From the sounds of your post, it sounds like your dealer wont let you back YOUR tractor on YOUR trailer. I'd pull it on anyway and tell the dealer off. He cannot physically keep you from loading YOUR stuff however you want.

Now if it is HIS driver doing business for HIM.....he has the authority to make his people do what he wants.

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #4  
Maybe different to adjust COG on the trailer?

I prefer forward on because one time years ago I had a hood come unlatched and whip up because it was backed on to the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #5  
When I have BH on, which is almost always, it is always a back on position due to clearance and more ability to position weight. Pulls great. With other implements or other tractor, I might pull on forward. But no problem with tractor facing rear.

Maybe your dealer delivers new tractors that way to prevent road hazards, stones from hitting front of tractor?

Whatever works!...

Btw, the trailer is 18'' 2' dovetail and 5' ramps

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #6  
Maybe different to adjust COG on the trailer?

I prefer forward on because one time years ago I had a hood come unlatched and whip up because it was backed on to the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

Never thought of that hazard, but would depend on how hood was hinged. To avoid that scenario one tractor I have would always be backed on and the other one would have to be front first.

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #7  
It depends on the best way you can get the balance on the trailer.

Like many other things you should try both ways if it's safe.

In this thread I ended up deciding facing forward with a strap over the hood of the trailer to prevent it from flying off.

/edit - and by balance I meant get 10% to 15% tongue weight.

Last edited:
   / Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #8  
Never thought of that hazard, but would depend on how hood was hinged. To avoid that scenario one tractor I have would always be backed on and the other one would have to be front first.

And now I ALWAYS double check it is latched. :D

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #9  
My dealer is big on backing tractor onto trailer , I find it easier to just drive on back off. I see very few on the road backed on but must say mine does pull a tad better backed on . Anyone back on fans ?

Is this the way you ran down the road with it?

/ Back on trailer ? Which is safer ? Dealer says on his lot you back on #10  
Whether it's a real concern or not, I have heard that some people/companies have concerns about spinning turbo without tractor running.