Adding accessories to powder coated trailers

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new deck over tilt trailer. I'd like to add some side mounted tool boxes to the frame. I've priced adding them as factory option but the cost is about twice the what it would cost for me to add them. I know you cant weld close to powdercoat and I'll need to grind off a fair amount by the attachment points.
I can't seem to find any good info on the repainting the affected areas after the addition. This guy added a whole lot accessories to his and seemed to be able to repaint. Anyone know the right way to do this?

Matt

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #2  
I'd avoid a powder coated trailer like the plague, but that's just me. Maybe do a search here for some horror stories.

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers
Thanks but there aren't a lot of manufactures left that don't powder coat. I don't want to get off on a PC vs paint thread.

Matt

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #4  
They can make aerosol cans for any powder coat color, if you're buying a new trailer make it a condition that you get a few rattle cans of touch up to sweeten the deal.

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #5  
I'd avoid a powder coated trailer like the plague, but that's just me. Maybe do a search here for some horror stories.

I agree. Being in the trailer business part time for 20 years I have seen them all.

If I were buying a new trailer I would get it painted, preferably with a readily available paint that can be bought in rattle cans as I have done with my last 3 trailers.

Chris

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #6  
What's the issue with powder coat I thought it was a good thing?

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #7  
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new deck over tilt trailer. I'd like to add some side mounted tool boxes to the frame. I've priced adding them as factory option but the cost is about twice the what it would cost for me to add them. I know you cant weld close to powdercoat and I'll need to grind off a fair amount by the attachment points.
I can't seem to find any good info on the repainting the affected areas after the addition. This guy added a whole lot accessories to his and seemed to be able to repaint. Anyone know the right way to do this?

Matt
I have a new (last year) powder coated 20' equipment trailer.
I have added several features, and have used black two part epoxy paint as touch up.
I dislike powder coating as it chips easily.
Powder coating is a fast and fancy looking factory finish.
In my opinion, a two part epoxy finish is definitely superior to powder coating!
I use two part epoxy paint on many things.
Check out "Amerlok", made by the Ameron Corp.
It is a commercial 2 part product, but it is not sold in hardware stores (2 gallon kits only).
It is used on bridges, and municipal water tanks.
Great stuff! I have used it for years. and it has a very long shelf life.

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #8  

When it fails it comes off in big chunks. Paint chips but is easy to touch up. Powder coat is thick and when pieces go missing and you paint over them the voids are very noticeable.

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #9  

Rust/corrosion will race underneath it and flake the PC off, far worse than paint. PC flakes off in big sheets in short amounts of time, whereas paint will blister/bubble on a smaller/slower scale.

If you think PC on steel is bad when it gets a chip and rusts, wait till you see PC on aluminum in a saltwater environment.

I used to think PC was great, but have grown to hate it.

/ Adding accessories to powder coated trailers #10  

Looks great new. That's the positive.

Chips, peels, Ect. That's the negative and once it does it's a bear to repair.

Chris