Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500??

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
In the market for a Trailer Brake Controller for my 2011 GMC 1500. Which kind/brand and why?

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #2  
I have a Tekonsha P3 and it works very well. Has multiple boost settings so you can vary the boost based on trailer weight. All messages are written in words not error codes. Will display voltage and amperage supplied to the brakes.

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #3  
I'd highly recommend ordering and installing a factory brake controller but I'm sure it would cost way more than an aftermarket under dash unit. My 2013 Chevy has the factory controller and it works great. On my other older truck I bought and installed a Reese digital brake controller (under $100). After getting the controls set properly it works very well. Tekonsha Voyager and Prodigy controllers are very good too.
Check the Etrailer link below for controller info and models they sell.

Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #4  
I'd highly recommend ordering and installing a factory brake controller but I'm sure it would cost way more than an aftermarket under dash unit. My 2013 Chevy has the factory controller and it works great. On my other older truck I bought and installed a Reese digital brake controller (under $100). After getting the controls set properly it works very well. Tekonsha Voyager and Prodigy controllers are very good too. Check the Etrailer link below for controller info and models they sell. Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

I second the factory unit. Nothing else compares. I did some on Fords and it was about $150 for the controller and $40 at the dealership for the 1/2 to reflash the computer. It's a 3 minute install on a Ford.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500??
Thanks. Im going to email my dealer, from what Ive read since I do not have the RPO JL1, the factory controller cannot be installed.

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #6  
I second the Tekonsha P3 easy set up works smoothly with all of my trailers best one I've owned.

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #7  
I know with the '14s on up the factory brake controller cannot be retro-fitted... I too am using a P3 and have been very happy with it.

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #8  
I know with the '14s on up the factory brake controller cannot be retro-fitted... I too am using a P3 and have been very happy with it.

That makes no sense. That's taking 10 steps backwards!

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500??
That makes no sense. That's taking 10 steps backwards!

Chris

You must order it with the truck. Different main wiring harness, JL1 RPO includes a ton of things.

They should remove a standard yuppie option and make the integrated controller standard.

/ Trailer Brake Controller - 2011 GMC 1500?? #10  
You must order it with the truck. Different main wiring harness, JL1 RPO includes a ton of things. They should remove a standard yuppie option and make the integrated controller standard.

I agree.

I know Fords and on them they all have the wiring. If you opt to not get the controller, a $150 option, they put a cubby in its place in the dash. You simply remove two screws, remove the cubbyhole plug the wiring harness into your purchased factory controller, slide it in the dash, and secure with the two screws.

You must then run it by a dealership to have them flash the computer in most cases but not all. Takes about 10 to 20 minutes to do but my dealer has a half hour minimum, about $40.

Chris