Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop?

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
So I was a couple hundred miles from home when the 500 mile low DEF warning appeared on our F350. I realized I was going to pass a Pilot truck stop in about 60 miles, which would be the only place with DEF at the pump anywhere near where we live. This was the first time I've ever bought DEF at the pump. I had to go inside to have my personal credit card run, went back outside and discovered I had to buy some diesel to activate the DEF pump.

Dealt with that, but as soon as I squeezed the DEF trigger I could feel the pump was high pressure, and the automatic shut-off activated. Eventually I found I could squeeze VERY gently and get up to a 10th of a gallon before shutting off. After about 10 minutes of screwing with this I got 1.5 gallons and gave up. Later I bought 3 jugs of DEF and put those in, for a total of 4.5, which should get me at least 5000 miles.

Is this a common problem? Or something particular to this truckstop and/or my truck? I don't mind filling from jugs but I "thought" filling at the pump would be fast and convenient.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #2  
Never tried getting any at pump/station. I've always just filled from jug - that way I've got an expiration date and brand evidence if any issues occur at dealer.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #3  
It's gotta be an issue with that specific pump. Filling up anything (fuel, gas, DEF) shouldn't be hard or tricky.
That said, I'm new to DEF myself. I hope to get mine at truck stops during my trip out west this summer.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #4  
Must have been that pump. We buy it all the time at the pump in our work fleet with no issues.

Chris

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #5  
most DEF pumps have a special magnetic ring at the nozzle that detects if you put it in the right hole. If you dont have it seated well the pump will "autokickoff" trying to prevent you from makeing a very costly mistake.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #6  
Sorry to hear about your troubles, it can be a pain, Our 2009 Ford F350 6.8L V10 has thatt same issue when filling up the gas tank, it takes half an hour to fill it up.... :(

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop?
most DEF pumps have a special magnetic ring at the nozzle that detects if you put it in the right hole. If you dont have it seated well the pump will "autokickoff" trying to prevent you from makeing a very costly mistake.

Thanks for the heads-up. After reading your reply I googled this and found a few threads about it on over-the-road truckers forums. They said this problem is so common that many truck stops have magnets available to defeat the switch. You just have to go to the counter and ask to borrow one. Now I gotta go inspect my fill tube and see if my magnet is in the normal position, etc.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #8  
Sorry to hear about your troubles, it can be a pain, Our 2009 Ford F350 6.8L V10 has thatt same issue when filling up the gas tank, it takes half an hour to fill it up.... :(

Try to turn the nozzle 90 degrees when you are pumping your gas in it. This helps on most vehicles. For some reason you might have a vent issue on your gas tank.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #9  
Try to turn the nozzle 90 degrees when you are pumping your gas in it. This helps on most vehicles. For some reason you might have a vent issue on your gas tank.

We have tried 180 degrees, will have to try 90 degrees, it is a super annoying problem.

/ Trouble filling DEF at Truck Stop? #10  
I just filled my ford up today. If you push down on the nozzle and start pumping slowly it will work. If you just pull the trigger it will shut off. Put 4.6 gallons in mine at a truck stop. It was $12. That was with the reminder at 132 miles to empty. I have put in an average of about 4.5 gallons everytime now.