Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #2  
Probably something like that already in service. Where diesel costs about 3/4 the price of gasoline. And or where diesel emission regulations are lax compared to North America.
The advantages that diesel light vehicles had in 1996 do not exist in 2016 in the USA.

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #3  
The 3.2 liter inline 5 they use as a high end engine in the European Transit van, is a good match against the VM/Ram V6 ecodiesel.

Probably something like that already in service. Where diesel costs about 3/4 the price of gasoline. And or where diesel emission regulations are lax compared to North America.
The advantages that diesel light vehicles had in 1996 do not exist in 2016 in the USA.

I dont know what places on earth you think they are going to sell it, the only pickup truck that works outside of North America is the Toyota Hilux. Africa and Asia are full of it but you guys dont get those. But Yank trucks, they are a rarity anywhere outside of North America. And here in Europe, the Mercedes Sprinter and Iveco Daily are the standard butter and bread trucks, either as a van or as a chassis-cab.

With SCR technology getting more commonplace in the USA, (after EPA un-prohibited SCR technology because manufacturers that already had experience with SCR technology in the European on-road market) urged them that achieving EPA standards with just EGR technology was not realistic) problems with diesels will diminish.

My friend has a Volvo V50 with a 1.6 liter diesel. Americans would consider it an ecodiesel. The amount of problems he had with this Ford/Peugeot engine were tremendous, this week he's had enough of it and traded it for one with a 2 liter diesel. (which is the same breed, from Volvo's Ford ownership era, which has cost them a lot of customers) The 2 liter has a better reputation as far as emission electronics. Nonetheless, punching the internals out of the DPF is the best thing you can do before the added backpressure kills a turbo.

Navistar was allmost bankrupted because the CEO insisted on the use of EGR/DPF only even while his engineers said they didnt know how to defy laws of nature. Deere loudmouthed the "Diesel only" mantra, but had to eat their words when they also couldnt get it done. All engines with a delayed ignition timing combined with EGR for lower NoX emissions and a DPF for lower PM emission, had big problems with the soot created already in the combustion, which was then recirculated by the EGR system, causing it to clog because the engine was basically eating its own sh*t

Once SCR gets commonplace in the automotive market, manufacturers can put the injection timing back to normal for clean, soot free combustion, use EGR (with no soot in it) for lower NoX emissions, and then tackle the rest of the NoX emissions caused by the hot, efficient and sootless burn, by an SCR (DEF) system.

Once they are all back to that main road (not just using SCR/DEF as an afterthought, but integrating emission systems and combustion as a whole) , Diesel reliability will get back to normal. Agco and New Holland are leading the way with their DOC/SCR/EGR route.

Last edited:
   / Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #4  
Unless it can out pull the 3.5 Eco Boost I can't see anyone being interested.

Chris

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton?
Unless it can out pull the 3.5 Eco Boost I can't see anyone being interested. Chris

Not to mention it will have to get MUCH better gas mileage than what the new 2.7 is getting. I'm hearing a lot of good things about that engine.

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #6  
Rumor on another site says it's a 3.0 L Range Rover turbo diesel V-6, 254 HP and 443 ft-lbs torque

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #7  
Rumor on another site says it's a 3.0 L Range Rover turbo diesel V-6, 254 HP and 443 ft-lbs torque

That's not going to cut it. 300 HP and 500 FT Lbs or better yet, 350 HP.

Nissan is getting it right with the Cummins Titan!

Chris

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #8  
I'll keep my hopped up, no emissions 7.3 IDI IH, thank you. Something about lighting up the 33 x 10'50's out back that makes me smile. Could be that stream of particulates out the exhaust pipe as well, but it might be the 21 mpg I get from my one ton 4x4 that really does it.....:cool2:

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton?
That's not going to cut it. 300 HP and 500 FT Lbs or better yet, 350 HP. Nissan is getting it right with the Cummins Titan! Chris

Those aren't selling that well so far. Around here they're already putting $3500 on the hood to move them. Besides, if it really is a Range Rover diesel that would scare me off. I want nothing to do with anything Range Rover ($$$$).

/ Ford to try their hand at a diesel 1/2 ton? #10  
I drove the new Nissan Titan XD a few months ago. Very nice rig. Except for one observation with the one truck I drove. Offline acceleration was slow until you hit around 15 MPH. Which had me stumped. Maybe because it was new and everything was new. With Dodge already having a diesel in their 1/2 ton series, I would think Ford and GM would want to make that move also. B.

Status
Not open for further replies.