Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics)

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics) #31  
I have also thought of taking the legs from an old set of pants and making a bag for the straps out of that (sew one end shut, add a drawstring in the other). That would also let me leave a slot in the closed end so the bag could sit "inline" on the strap and any extra strap could go inside the bag after I finish tieing things down.
You could probably make 4-6 bags out of each set of pants.

Aaron Z
Sounds like a plan. When will you be taking orders??

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics)
Some of you fellas could PM amongst yourselves and decide which one might start a thread about strap width. Could be a lively subject thats beneficial to members. Take the time to compose a good, searchable topic title like I did for this thread, and ya did a good thing!

I just about gave up, thought nobody was actually hauling cargo around anymore. :D. Could be! But not here I'm always hauling something.

When I need them I untangle them which takes a minute or two. Now your method looks to me like what might be called preemptive untangling. Have you compared the two methods (preemptive untangling vs post-tangle untangling) to see which one is faster? Either way I don't think I can reform.

A guy could have 4 straps, and always bundle two of them and toss the other two in a box, that way you could remain noncommittal to the method. Then try to keep track which type you reach for when its time to strap something.

I just went thru a streak where i was getting help from others and it was hopeless to organize, plus helpers don't seem to mind untangling. So I was always pulling them out of a tangle, and got awful tired of it too.

Don't forget the next part of untangling is untwisting the webbing so it lays flat. Note that if you just used a strap, it's probably flat. Folding while its flat preserves that flatness, so time is saved there too.

I guess you just have to try it. I used those stretch-cords (with a ball) and they worked well but whenever the stretchband was "somewhere else" I couldn't bundle, so just balled it up, and it got outta control. Also lost some stretchcords. It seems better if they can always be bundled without reliance upon aseparate item.

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics) #33  
Just figured out this method and made a pic for y'all. Not sure if it's better than the loose-knot method. Anyway, try this one and see if it helps to organize straps.

464321d1460389017-bundling-cargo-ratchet-straps-method-bundle_ratchet_straps-jpg

I use both the roll method and jumbled pile method and you are right both are slow. Your new method looks like it may offer some help ! Thanks.

I see this is an old thread. Don't know hoq I dredged it up up glad I did.

gg

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics) #34  
Personally, I like using shopping bags to hold straps. One strap per bag, the ratchets get stored separately and I only have to untangle one strap at a time.

Aaron Z
I prefer used but clean ziploc bags. SWMBO refuses to reuse a ziploc bag, even if it just had crumbs in it, so I usually have a lot around for parts storage.
I also use a lot of ratchet straps, from the 1" HF orange to 3" 27 foot yellow. The small ones go in small bags, the big ones in 1 gallon bags, sometimes the ratchet part is separate. Usually after rolling up I squirt the ratcheting mechanism with Fluid Film. Then they get piled in 5 gallon reused kitty litter containers, if they are not sent to a tractor or road vehicle.
I use both the roll method and jumbled pile method and you are right both are slow. Your new method looks like it may offer some help ! Thanks.

I see this is an old thread. Don't know hoq I dredged it up up glad I did.

gg
Old but good.
I prefer to use the "roll up" method, I find it relaxing and I look closely at the entire strap, so if one starts to fray it is relegated to the "don't trust it pile".
Besides holding cargo while transporting stuff I use the straps for things like holding glue ups, pulling things apart, pulling things together etc.

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics) #35  
I saw a video a while back of rolling a strap up and hooking together. It’s definitely neater than my old method of rolling around the handle. IMG_0723.JPGIMG_0724.JPG

/ Bundling cargo ratchet straps (method w/pics)
The 'key' to this is;

You have to untwist/flatten the strap to use it, right?

So it makes sense to employ a storage method that you have not "inputted twists" to your strap.

To store it you just walk 27 feet dragging the strap and all the twists come out.
Then fold it back and forth in such a way you don't input a bunch of twists.

Then when you bust it out from its stored config, it has only a few twists (if any) & more 'ready to use'.