2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Used 2006 Ford Super Duty F-350 DRW Truck For Sale in Dry Ridge | 1FDWW37P96EB28211

2006 F350 DRW Crew cab with flat bed and towing. 141K miles 6.8L Diesel

I'm looking for a tow vehicle for my farm. Horses, little farm equipment, and a whole lot of cleaning up the place.

I'll be purchasing a gooseneck flatbed for hauling equipment and likely a dump trailer, although alot have recommended just buying an old dump truck, which would also be fine with me.

I'd like to stay under $20K, just because, well... it seems there is no ceiling at all in trucks. And since this truck won't be a 'daily driver' just a hauler/tower, fancy just isn't what I desire. But something that is dependable IS my desire.

I wouldn't ask in this way, however, I seem to remember someone saying that the mid 2000's 6.xL diesels had alot of problems... but I don't remember if this was Cummins or Duramax or possibly I'm off on the years. But for anyone 'in the know' I would appreciate your opinion on this truck. I'm going to take a look at it next time I head that way. But... since my '68 Camaro was the last thing I really could work on, mechanically... this is out of my element. I will take whatever I am really interested in, to a mechanic... but I'd like your opinion on this truck if you would be so kind.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #2  
That listing shows the truck has the 6.0L diesel and then states that it has the 6.8L V10 has engine. Based on the 8th digit of the VIN number and the badge on the door, the truck has the diesel. I know a few people who have had the 2006 6.0L diesel and they all had engine issues at some point. I would prefer this diesel to the 6.4L diesel that was offered from 2008 to 2010, but the 7.3L (99-03) with the 6-speed manual was the most reliable setup.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #3  
The 6.8L V10 is a pretty good choice if you are doing short hauls, but the 5 mpg while towing heavy gets old fast on the road.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #4  
If it's a 6.8 gas that seems like high miles. Not terrible but high. If it's the 6.0 diesel they are hit and miss. Myself and my buddies have had good luck with them but there are just as many people who have had bad luck. Working them hard seems to be better than babying them.

Chris

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #5  
Am always suspicious of older trucks with fancy new rims.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #6  
I've had really good luck with the 6.0. Yes, A few things need to be addressed, but once they are, they are a very solid engine. The market for them in my area have really increased because the only emissions to deal with is the EGR, which is very easily dealt with. The transmission on them are solid.

Read up on how to monitor the motor with a reader like a scanguage or Torque pro. Then make sure you check the vitals and especially the delta between the oil and coolant temperatures. They should be no more than 15* apart after the engine has had a good heat sink on it and while cruising at 55 mph for about 10 minutes. Also look at the degas cap on the coolant reservoir, if there is a white chalky residue on it, it means the EGR cooler is busted or the head gasket is gone.

This was Ford/International first foray into an all electronically controlled diesel. To be honest, Ford had no idea how to fix them early on and that I believe is what gave the motor a bad rap.

If you buy it, I can give you a run down of what to do to make it a sold reliable truck.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #7  
Go to powerstrokehelp.com to learn almost anything about 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstrokes.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #8  
Go to powerstrokehelp.com to learn almost anything about 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstrokes.

No, that guy doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. He is a salesman trying to scare everyone on the powerstoke, so he can sell you more work. He has a few good points, but overall he's a scam.

The real master on Powerstokes is a guy by the name of Diesel tech Ron. He has a youtube channel and is legit. He's not a fear monger like that "other" guy is...

Just Google him, you'll see.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #9  
No, that guy doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. He is a salesman trying to scare everyone on the powerstoke, so he can sell you more work. He has a few good points, but overall he's a scam.

The real master on Powerstokes is a guy by the name of Diesel tech Ron. He has a youtube channel and is legit. He's not a fear monger like that "other" guy is...

Just Google him, you'll see.

We are all entitled to our own opinion - Bill might be a bit boisterous, but he knows his Powerstrokes. I haven't used him personally, but know several that have (since he is somewhat local)...... To each his own.

/ 2006 F350 SD DRW... would appreciate your opinions. #10  
You're right, I might be a little biased against the guy....