Do I really need trailer brakes?

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #1  

RoninMaine

Tractor
2012 L3200, 1986 B7200, 1956 Farmall 300 B3300SU SOLD
Hello everybody- I just have a quick easy question, well I think it is! I have just changed my fleet around a bit. I had a 2004 half ton chevy ext cab with a 16' 7k car hauler I used to move my L3200 on occasion. I never go far, just around my town doing small jobs. The truck did not like hauling the tractor, and stopping was not good either- So anyway, I sold my car hauler and picked up a pretty nice 18' deckover with mobile home axles. The trailer was well built, and down the road I will probably buy some new axles for it, with brakes. It does not have working brakes now. I dont know what the trailer weighs, but it is built pretty heavy. I just bought a super nice, 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a cummins diesel, 66k miles. Clean florida truck. I have not picked the truck up yet. I am wondering, do you guys think it will stop ok? I know, I should have trailer brakes, but for this year I would like to run what I have and give my wallet a break! Like I said, I might tow it 20 miles max, L3200 with a backhoe... I sure do appreciate all your advise. You all have been great in the past!

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #2  
Most accidents happen within 20 miles of home, so don't drive there until you have brakes.

:)

If someone runs a stop sign and hits you, they will claim it is your fault for having no brakes, and you will probably get a ticket for faulty equipment, too.

Bruce

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #3  
It'd pay now or pay later. I ruined. Set of brakes on my 2003 Ram 2500 first time out with a 7K boat who's trailer had no brakes. I was forced to spend $300 on brakes for the truck in addition to the brakes I had to buy for the trailer.

Don't even get me started on MH axles.

Chris

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #4  
Where I live, any trailer with a GVW of 3,000 pounds or over HAS to have brakes... It's the law....

SR

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #5  
With no brakes on trailer you can plan on new brakes on truck . Bruce gave good advice ! Why risk it , get brakes

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #6  
Where I live, any trailer with a GVW of 3,000 pounds or over HAS to have brakes... It's the law....

SR

Pretty sure that the law here also Ron. (might be 3500#) If there's an accident…………..

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #7  
Definitely get brakes on the trailer. I'm guessing your trailer weight is around 7,000 pounds. That's an accident waiting to happen with no brakes.

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #8  
Don't even get me started on MH axles.

Chris
I agree with that statement. When I was shopping for a trailer, every one that came up with mobile home axles, I didn't even consider. I was once told MH axles were designed for only one trip. Jon

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #9  
When we first got our NH TC40D with BH and FEL on a 22' trailer - the trailer had brakes but my Titan truck did not.

I could pull it OK and I could stop it but, I never felt safe while doing that because I could feel it pushing me.

I put a controller in the truck and now - well, let's just say I will not pull it ever again without brakes. The difference it makes is beyond description.

Do yourself a favor, get the brakes.

Just curious ..... the MH axles don't have brakes? I know MH's here have brakes on them.

/ Do I really need trailer brakes? #10  
Look at it this way... Some clown pulls out in front of you or a pedestrian walks out in front of you and you mash your pedal to the floor and then watch as you gobble up the pedestrian or the other vehicle... because you cannot stop. Tough to be first on the scene along with the victim. Also tough to loose everything in a PI lawsuit plus the jail time. Not worth it.