Quick lube axle maintenance.

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I just got a new trailer, 19' flatbed from Kaufman Trailer in Lexington, NC. It came with 4,000 pound quick-lube axles. I have the manual for the axles but do not remember the name of the manufacturer. I'd never heard of them. The manual says to inspect and repack bearings every year or 12k miles or something like that. But, it does not say a single word about the quick lube feature or when to use it. I know how and have a good Lincoln manual grease gun. Just seems odd that they have the quick lube feature but say nothing about them. Any thoughts?

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #2  
I just got a new trailer, 19' flatbed from Kaufman Trailer in Lexington, NC. It came with 4,000 pound quick-lube axles. I have the manual for the axles but do not remember the name of the manufacturer. I'd never heard of them. The manual says to inspect and repack bearings every year or 12k miles or something like that. But, it does not say a single word about the quick lube feature or when to use it. I know how and have a good Lincoln manual grease gun. Just seems odd that they have the quick lube feature but say nothing about them. Any thoughts?

I would not use that feature on a utility trailer. Boat trailer they are nice because they push the water out and usually have disc brakes but with drums they tend to blow rear seals and contaminate the brakes.

Chris

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #3  
Sounds similar to Dexter EZ Lube hubs. You have to be very careful about not over-packing them, as Chris noted above.

/ Quick lube axle maintenance.
Sounds like I've been had. I've dealt with trailers that had to have bearings repacked and it sucks. I've owned small trailers with the quick lube axles and thought it was great. These weren't an option that I paid extra for but was pleased that they would not need to be repacked by hand. In this case it sounds like they are useless. Oh well.

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #5  
I've had two trailers with easy lube axles. Dexter (Load Trail dump trailer) and AL-KO (PJ equipment trailer). They gave the same directions. Raise the tire off the ground, and rotate it slowly while greasing with a manual gun, until you can see new grease moving out of the bearing. That is what I did. I have never had a problem.

Since it is a new trailer, and you cannot be sure the bearings were properly adjusted or greased, I would take off the dust caps entirely so you can see what is happening as you grease the bearing. This is a also a good time to make sure the bearings are adjusted properly to avoid early failure. Also a good time to check the brake adjustment.

One reason people get in trouble with easy lube axles is they do not take the time to raise and rotate the tire. Or they use an air grease gun instead of a manual gun, that puts out too much grease too fast. Then the grease can blow out the rear seal instead of moving properly through the bearings.

I follow the axle manufacturers directions and have not had a problem.

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #6  
If you don't lift & rotate while pumping in grease, you blow out the seal behind the inner bearing & grease your brakes. Not a good thing. It can even happen if you do things right if the seal is worn or weak. Also wastes a good part of a tube of grease filling up 2 hubs with a lot of unneeded grease.

Not sure if I will use the EZlube or a manual disassembly & repack on my travel trailer next year. Got it used last year & replaced the bearings & busted brakes. Did a manual pack then.

Just pumped grease into my cargo trailer axles (no lift & rotate) a couple years ago before I knew better. It still brakes well so I may have gotten lucky. Need to pull those drums & inspect here soon...

I'm not familiar with trailer brakes or bearings. Guess I need to get this all figured out so I can do all this myself. I do all my own car brake work including replacing calipers and lines, just don't know anything about electric trailer ones. I'll pull a wheel off and look at the drawings in the manual. I do not have a bearing press so that might be an issue.

/ Quick lube axle maintenance. #8  
If you can do car brakes, you can do trailer brakes & bearings. YouTube a trailer brake & bearing job. Most all trailer axles are the same setup, so model doesn't matter & you'll figure it out pretty quick. At least I did the YouTube thing before my brake & bearing job, which went fine.

Good tip. YouTube is the backyard mechanic's friend. Watched a couple. Looks pretty simple.