DIY aux tank for truck

/ DIY aux tank for truck #21  
I think the big problem is if you have a second tank you need to be able to gravity into the factory tank. The only way to make this happen is to put the tank in the bed. A lot of diesels have a lift pump in the tank so adding a second tank takes some extra work if it doesn't gravity into the factory tank. Usually the fuel tank mounts left or right of the centerline of the truck. There is usually all sorts of room on the side opposite of the factory tank but the exhaust is usually routed through this area. Probably someone that can fab and knows all the in and outs of how to feed the factory tank with some kind of of secondary lift pump could do it on the cheap but otherwise the cost is probably not cheap.

/ DIY aux tank for truck
I haven't really looked into anything other than the newer trucks, and they have a total frame re-design over mine. I will have to take some measurements off mine (and write them down) and compare with those. There will be a lot of things to accommodate, going from older gasser to diesel tank. Unless I was lucky enough to find and old diesel Burb. Then there is the sending unit, etc. BUT worth looking into for sure.

I worked with a guy that had one of the 6.5 diesel Burb's, so I know they are out here.

/ DIY aux tank for truck
Looking at google, it looks, based on appearance, the Suburban tanks were mounted where my spare tire goes. I am not willing to lose my spare. It figure, because the 42 gallon diesel model is only $181.

Might be an excellent choice for those wanting more fuel and not concerned about losing a spare tire.

/ DIY aux tank for truck
I did find this one, but it does say 8ft box. Still I would like to get dimensions. Maybe I will see if they have a drawing of it with them on there.

/ DIY aux tank for truck #25  
I dont think you mentioned, what model/year truck do you have? I assume that its a Chevy/GMC based on you looking at Suburban tanks.

Aaron Z

/ DIY aux tank for truck
Oh, sorry. It's a 2006 GMC, Duramax, Crew Cab, short bed. Current tank size is 26 gallons, but shows empty on the gauge (like all the Duramax trucks that year do) with a fill of 20-21 gallons. So to continue after "E" is a guessing game I do not want to play.

/ DIY aux tank for truck #27  
Looking at google, it looks, based on appearance, the Suburban tanks were mounted where my spare tire goes. I am not willing to lose my spare. It figure, because the 42 gallon diesel model is only $181.

Might be an excellent choice for those wanting more fuel and not concerned about losing a spare tire.

On my Suburban ('93), the spare is mounted inside the left rear of the interior, not underneath.

/ DIY aux tank for truck
Yea I remember those. Some old trucks had the spare mounted in the bed, that took up part of the wheel well. I like mine under and out of the way.

/ DIY aux tank for truck #29  
Wow. Only 26 gallon tank. Reading about that, many are saying the low fuel light comes on at 20 so as to lessen the likelihood of running the fuel pump dry.

The Titan replacement tanks also seem to be what folks are liking, but as you mentioned, about $1400. But that'll double you to 52 gallons.

Super Series 52 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank | GM Duramax 21-2:) 6.6L Crew Cab Short Bed | Titan Fuel Tanks 7:)21 | Dales Super Store

But to quote the propaganda, it'll pay for itself in two years.... yeah, right! hahahahaha :laughing:

Propaganda said:
"These huge tanks pay for themselves in 2 years based on the time and money saved making less trips to the fuel station. "

/ DIY aux tank for truck #30  
Yea I remember those. Some old trucks had the spare mounted in the bed, that took up part of the wheel well. I like mine under and out of the way.

With my spare tire mounted behind the left rear wheel well, I can still fit a stack of 4x8 sheets inside the Suburban. You don't lose much space at all.

Anyhow, the Titan tanks don't seem to take up any of the space where your spare is mounted underneath.