Trailer Decision

/ Trailer Decision #1  

Bellville

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790
I am going to purchase a trailer to haul my tractor around and would appreciate some input from those of you that have one.

I was initially considering a 16' tandem axle trailer as this will certainly hold the weight of my 790, but am concerned about the lenght.

When the brush cutter is on the tractor it is about 20' long, this would leave quite a bit sticking out of the back of the traler /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Do most of you have trailers long enough to hold the tractor with implements (cutter) attached or are you hanging out the back??

As always any input would be greatly appreciated.

/ Trailer Decision #2  
Hi Jack,

I have an 18 foot car hauler that I use with my 790. It's 16' flat with a two foot dovetail. With FEL and cutter the tail wheel hangs off a foot or so behind the dovetail. I wouldn't want any shorter. The longer trailer also gives you more room to shift the load for balancing.

Mine is a 7000 pounder, tandem axle with brakes on only one. It's been just fine for my needs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailer Decision #3  
If you can I would get an 18' trailer since your tractor plus implement is 20', 4' overhang is pushing it I think. Even better maybe a 20' trailer. When I bought my trailer a few months back the price difference between the 18' metal deck and 20' metal deck trailer was only $75. I am really glad I went with the 20' trailer. I can load the tractor on and still have some room up front for the generator and other tools that I need.

You hardly ever hear of someone wishing they bought a shorter trailer, but you hear quite often someone wishing their trailer was a little longer.

/ Trailer Decision #4  
I have a 16' tandem for my B8200 Kubota, which is similar size to the 790. Usually when I take my mower, I take the scraper too... So, I back the tractor, with mower mounted, as far on to the trailer as I can. The tail wheel hangs a bit over the tongue area. I disconnect the mower, go grab the scraper, and then load as normal except that my loader bucket rests on top of the mower.

/ Trailer Decision #5  
16 is too short - I've got an 18 and wish I had a 20 ...... In a few years when I tade my little F150 - I'll jump to a 350 and 24 foot gooseneck.... tired of fighting it ... my mower sticks out almost 4 feet - I flag it - but I'm not comfortable with it.

/ Trailer Decision #6  
Hi Jack ,
I just went through the trailer length dilemma when I bought mine . After talking on here and looking at the attachments I wanted , I finally decided on a 20' ,10,000 lb rated trailer . The first time I saw it , I thought "No Way" did I need that much trailer /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif! I only have a half ton truck and was concerned the trailer was too big . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I WAS WRONG !!! That trailer is perfect and tows great /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Yes, it is more difficult to turn around , but I have room for everything ! GO with the 20 ' and you will not be sorry later .
Big Al

/ Trailer Decision #7  
My trailer is a 10K rated bumper pull 20 foot flatbed with a covered box built on. It would be longer but I keep a camper on the truck.

Egon

Last edited:
   / Trailer Decision #8  
I pull an 18 foot 12,000# tandem axle with a Ford F350 diesel dually. I haul a NH TN65 with a loader and LandPride 2572 rotary mower hanging out the back of the trailer...about 4 feet of it. I red flag the tail wheel to minimize any police chases. I'm only travelling about 20 miles so it's no big deal.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the 20 foot trailer....but then again, backing up in tight spaces with cars and trucks in a parking lot is enough of a chore with the 18-footer.

Good luck...CL

/ Trailer Decision #9  
I use a MacLander 20' 12000# tandem for hauling. Trailer has flip up ramps and wood deck, along with 2' beavertail. My tactor, a TC35 with FEL and boxblade weighs around 5000#, and is just about 17' long. The extra length on the trailer makes it easy to balance the load. I move the tractor forward until I drop the rear of the truck 1". Just enough tongue weight to make the world right. I'm real happy with my combination.

/ Trailer Decision #10  
I have a 20' 7000lb cap. trailer and it works just great. It was only a $100 premium over a 16' and well worth it. Since you are in TX, you might look at the LoadTrail brand of trailers. I looked at quite a few brands and although I'm no expert, they sure looked a heck of a lot better built than the others. Much better decking for sure.

Mine is a carhauler with a 2' dovetail. If I were to do it over again, I don't think I'd get the dovetail, as it has ground clearance issues.