Trailer???

/ Trailer??? #1  

Turbys_1700

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland t4.75
I am going to look at this trailer later today...
No title purchased in South Carolina...
Brakes on two axles...
All lights work...
No issues...
Owner stated that it was too big for him...
Any input would be appreciated...

Attachments

• Trailer 1.jpg
    Trailer 1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Trailer 2.jpg
    Trailer 2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Trailer 3.jpg
    Trailer 3.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 279
   / Trailer??? #2  
Is that an old trailer house frame and axles? If it is, that would be a red flag for me. There is no title, so it is probably home made but why didn't the guy get a salvage title for it? If I could buy it really cheap and use it off road, on the farm I would. Other wise I would walk away.

/ Trailer??? #3  
Price means everything. Its probably rated at 18K and would guess it to be 3.5K empty leaving 14K or so for a load.

If bought right it could be a steal. Just register it as homemade.

Chris

/ Trailer??? #4  
I would look into the process of obtaining a title and registration for your state prior to buying it. Some states make it very expensive. The axles are a red flag for me as well. Load rating, have they been shortened...

/ Trailer??? #5  
Asking price would have to be about 1/4 of a factory made trailer before I would even think about it. Cost of getting someone's home made job safely and legally on the road could be high.

/ Trailer???
Thanks for the help gentlemen. In NC you can register it as home made. The process is straightforward. It occurs quite often since South Carolina does not require a title and some folks buy SC trailers. I know those axles could be mobile home axles. Quite a few of Hudson trailers utilize this type of axle but they are Dexter heavy duty trailer axles. It caught my eye too. IMHO I want trailer axles but I know lots of guys around here running mobile home axles with no issues.

The owner stated that the trailer was heavier than he needed. No issues other than that. If those axles check out and the price is OK I may bring it home. It is 16' with a 4' dovetail. As well as it is built, if it was homemade, why would someone utilize mobile home axles unless they just had them available.

/ Trailer???
Asking price would have to be about 1/4 of a factory made trailer before I would even think about it. Cost of getting someone's home made job safely and legally on the road could be high.

Thanks Pat for the info. That type of trailer is not cheap. What value would you place on it if it? I know what he is asking and I have a number in mind that I think is fair.

/ Trailer??? #8  
In South Carolina, we don't register trailers, so the fact that it is not registered or titled is normal here. It doesn't mean that it was home made. It could be made by any major trailer maker and would not be registered.

A very rare few actually will register their trailers, but only because they haul out of state regularly and other states require registration or will give you a fine even if your home state does not require it. Then you have to pay annual taxes and get a license plate for it. That's why nobody does it. I only know one person that has one of his trailers registered. He had to go back to the maker that he originally purchased from (Pace), to get a certificate of origin so he could register the trailer. People in SC buy and sell trailers here all the time with no certificates, bills of sale, or registrations. I don't have any title or any such document on my tandem axle trailer either.

The question is, can you get a document to register it in your state having bought it out of state. Does NC require registration? I'd call your DMV to see what is required and see if you can get some documentation from the seller that allows you to do what you need to do to be in compliance in NC.

/ Trailer???
In South Carolina, we don't register trailers, so the fact that it is not registered or titled is normal here. It doesn't mean that it was home made. It could be made by any major trailer maker and would not be registered.

A very rare few actually will register their trailers, but only because they haul out of state regularly and other states require registration or will give you a fine even if your home state does not require it. Then you have to pay annual taxes and get a license plate for it. That's why nobody does it. I only know one person that has one of his trailers registered. He had to go back to the maker that he originally purchased from (Pace), to get a certificate of origin so he could register the trailer. People in SC buy and sell trailers here all the time with no certificates, bills of sale, or registrations. I don't have any title or any such document on my tandem axle trailer eith

The question is, can you get a document to register it in your state having bought it out of state. Does NC require registration? I'd call your DMV to see what is required and see if you can get some documentation from the seller that allows you to do what you need to do to be in compliance in NC.

Thanks David. I don't know if it is a factory or home made trailer. I will find out later today. It does seem to be built very well and in excellent condition.

/ Trailer??? #10  
That thing has a very beefy frame and ramps. It appears as you said to be in very good shape. I'd guess it would easily fetch $3-4k or more.