Real Data needed on commuter vehicles

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
I'm looking for some actual data on mpg for a commuter vehicle.

The back story: my wife commutes 70 miles round trip. She currently drives a 91 Honda CRX. We have logged nearly every gallon of fuel that has gone into this car and it gets a solid 40 MPG. But this car is at about 270K on the odometer and starting to get long in the tooth. Add to that some particularly heinous fatal head on accidents in the vicinity with similar vintage cars and we are starting to think about other options.

But here is the rub. When you start looking at efficiency ratings there isn't a whole lot very promising that can meet or exceed the crx in fuel economy. Granted a newer car will have airbags and meet a more modern crash test standard but I really don't think an mpg rating of 32 on the highway is all that impressive. Most of the data I can find thus far is mostly based on government estimates...and they miss the mark on the 91 crx so I don't have a lot of faith in estimates of more modern cars.

Toyota Prius can hit the 40-50 mpg mark, most of the time. (Generation 2 cars drop off quickly after the battery starts to fail) Generation 3 more easily gets 50 mpg more often...so it seems. There are lots of them and the asking price seems way out of this world for used ones.

VW 2.0 liter Diesel in the Jetta or golf can get 50 mpg apparently...but there might be some issues with all the test data fabrication nonsense.

Apparently the Honda Fit might squeak out 40 MPG with a stick shift and driven right.

The first generation Honda Insight can get 60 mpg or higher if driven right...but this car is pretty idiosyncratic.

So I'm looking for some real world numbers from the TBN population on what they drive and how good the fuel economy has been. Info on maintenance or other repair problems are welcome as well.

I usually buy used cars, but wouldn't necessarily rule out a new car purchase. But i have the following criteria....

It needs to get at least 40 MPG (real honest numbers with no crazy driving techniques).
No older than a 2006 model year
Can be stick or auto trans...she can drive either.
I'd consider straight gas or diesel, hybrid or EV...but the EV need to have sufficient range to make it 35 miles with no range anxiety.
I'd like to spend 10k or less.

I have No brand loyalty to speak of...I have had Buicks, Toyota, Honda, Chevys,...and to bring it back to tractors...a Ford and Mitsubishi tractor....but it would be a terrible commute on the NAA:laughing:

Thanks in advance

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #3  
my wife has had two honda civics and 04 and an 06. 06 having four doors was the reason for the change. both autos, both driven the same way. the 04 would get high 30s everytime 38-39 and sometimes she could get 41-42 when the conditions were right. the newer one gets mid 30s 34-35, and everyonce in a while can get 38-39. this won't help you since they are older, but my uncle had two 95 VW passats, TDI and 5 speeds would always get mid to upper 50s. he has recently changed to a 2010 model. I do not know what his MPGs are anymore

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #4  
The overall average on our 2010 Jetta TDI is just over 40. It does 47-49 on interstates where the hwy is mostly level and 44-46 across WVa to Columbus, OH.

I've been scouting out cars to buy when VW buys back our TDI. Not going for a TDI because would be totally unsure of the history of any new TDI (and they currently don't have any). It could have been stored somewhere while VW has been trading back and forth with the judge. Also, the false "check engine" lights firing up are a pain.

So, I set my goal on cars with stick shift (wife cannot drive an auto) that do 40 mpg hwy or better. My experience is our overall average is just above the EPA hwy value; while hwy mileage is quite a bit higher (an anything but a vehicle that pushes a whole lot of air like the current pickups and SUVs; it is NOT on my Tacoma pickup).

I found about a half dozen, but only about 2 or 3 have all the equipment (basically what our TDI has plus a rear view camera and fog lights that it wasn't offered with). These are a VW Jetta 1.4T, a Mazda3 sTouring with the 2.0 liter. Most of the other makes only offer stick shift in the very basic of models. You cannot get them equipped very well and still keep the stick.

I drove a Mazda3 about 5 years ago in Florida and got 40 mpg on it. Think this was before their current batch of cars. They basically use some technology similar to what's in hybrids plus other computerization without going to turbo charge and hybrids.

Ralph

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #5  
Our 2013 Impala gets an honest 30 on the hwy and is a heck of a lot more fun to drive than any of those! hahahahahaaha

Anyhow, I have a friend that has an original Prius and he averages over 40 in combined city and hwy. He had to replace the battery pack at about 11-12 years old, but its still going strong. Several hundred thousand miles. Its a dorky looking thing, but when I'm pumping 40 gallons into my 93 Suburban every two weeks and he puts 10 in Prius.......... :rolleyes:

I tried on a Jetta... I couldn't fit in it. I'm only 6' tall. My right leg rubbed the console and my shoe had MAYBE 1/2" between the edge of the brake pedal and the console. Winter boots and I wouldn't have been able to push the gas pedal! Maybe look at the Passat.

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #6  
My wife and daughter each have Hyundai Elantras. The both get 36-40 mpg with normal driving, running the A/C in Florida. This is actually my wife's second Elantra and my daughter has had three (they got great "trade in" deals).

For a smaller car, they are quite roomy and comfortable. Great acceleration, smooth ride and nice amenities.

New they run around $16,000 - not sure what used prices are in Oregon.

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #7  
We have a Honda Civic hybrid, 2004. Honda Fit, 2006, VW JSW TDI, 2009, Hyundai Elantra 2011(?)

The Civic is on it's second battery, has an emissions warning light on but still gets 40MPG.
The Fit returns about 40MPG if I don't play with the paddles, but it's my daughters car.
I am starting to suffer withdrawal pains because I'm going to have to put the JSW down. But VW is due to pay me about $16K for it.
The Hyundai gets good mileage, but my son runs it so no telling.

Of all the cars the VW JSW TDI is the BEST. I drove it several times a year from DC to Tupelo, MS in a one day drive, about 850 miles. Running light I've gotten up to 47MPG at an AVERAGE speed of 65, before I put a cargo box on top. It is basically irreplaceable for the $16K they may give me and they are going to destroy it :(

If you can get a good condition newer one that they can "fix" I'd highly recommend it.

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #8  
If you can find one that is not beat and has service records. You cannot beat the 1999-2003 VW TDI's with 5 speed gearbox. You can try to see if you can get it under 40 mpg. I had a 2000 beetle. Lowest tank was 42 mpg. Highest was 50. The golfs and jettas got the best mileage. Good luck. I now have a 2013 Passat TDI took it to Florida from Massachusetts twice it got around 47-48 mpg. The car was loaded and we went no slower than 70. That car loves loooooong trips.

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #9  
My vote is for a strait old Honda Civic. It may not get the best MPG but it will return the best cost per mile over the long run.

Chris

/ Real Data needed on commuter vehicles #10  
I'm sold on more safety features on newer cars VS older cars that get better mileage. Anti lock brakes, traction control, stability control, etc... are important to me since my kids and wife drive the car way more than I do. While I enjoy older vehicles more than newer ones, if given a choice for a daily driver, I'd take the newer one for safety and reliability.