Securing a UTV on a trailer

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX 7320
Is there anyway short of the wheel bonnets to keep one secure over rough roads?

We have a Yamaha rhino we transport on a 6x12 trailer. I welded four d rings in each corner of the trailer and use heavy duty 2" ratchet straps. Four of them, two in front and two in back at good angles going from the d rings to the rhino. I get them as tight as I can which compresses the suspension a bit. Driving on the highways it never comes loose however I haul this thing around 50 miles a day on rough oil field roads. The straps get completely loose and the other day one got so loose it fell off.

I am sure my problem is due to the large suspension travel of the machine as I never have this issue on other equipment in the same conditions. I am considering buying the wheel bonnets unless anyone has some other ideas. They are not cheap.

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #2  
A couple of thoughts.

I wonder if the ratchet straps loosen due to the bouncing causing constant jerking against the rolled-up portion, making it wound up tighter, causing the strap to lengthen. Chain and binder may prevent that action.

Maybe use your ratchet straps to tie down to the wheels through the spokes. Much less motion going on to loosen the straps.

Bruce

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #3  
You need to secure your straps to the 4 corners on the Suspension. Securing it to the chassis is never desirable on a vehicle with suspension. Things like tractors or Dozers is fine though.

I have snapped a 5/16 chain with a Suburban on a trailer. Suspension did its job with a dip in the road and the recoil broke a nearly new chain. Lesson learned!

Chris

Chris

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #4  
   / Securing a UTV on a trailer
I've never really had a problem tying above suspension on my ATV's but my heavier SXS has been a pain. I've been breaking or cutting them. I picked up 4 of these side mount over tire straps and they stay tight and don't wear on the straps.

Side Mount Wheel Net w/ Ratchet and Flat Hook | USCargoControl

Thanks. Those are cheap enough and may do the trick. Like you I have not had problems with ATV's or anthything else. I tie down pickups, skid steers, backhoes, ATV's, etc on a regular basis and never have an issue but this rhino UTV is a pain. I think part of the problem is the suspension is stiff enough that you can't take enough slack out of it with the ratchet straps even though they are pretty darn right. When you hit the rough roads it starts bouncing.

The wheels on it won't allow running a strap through them.

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #6  
when you tighten the rachet straps, try sitting on the utv corner that you are strapping down. your weight might put enough pressure on the suspension to allow a tighter tie down. just a thought. Jon

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #7  
The wheels on it won't allow running a strap through them.

These straps go over the tire, not through the wheel.

image.jpeg

Yes the ones you linked to do and I will try them. I was referring to a previous post that said to try running the straps through the wheels.

As to sitting on the corner it helps some. Last time we strapped it down I had a guy get in the bed and jump up and down as two guys tightened the rear straps. It definitely helped but did not totally solve the problem.

/ Securing a UTV on a trailer #9  
I have never had any trouble with my Mule. I have watched a buddy put blocks under his Ranger before tying it down. I guess that makes sense because his ranger has way more travel than my mule does. My Mule is on stock suspension, and he probably spend more on his suspension than my whole Mule is worth.

Last edited:
We have two kubota RTV's and have no issues with them coming loose. Definitely think it is due to the suspension travel.