Hydraulic Trailer Jack

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #1  

greglwood

Tractor
B7800
Northern Tool used to sell this jack and I bought one a few years ago and loved it. I would like to add one to a different trailer but it appears Northern Tool no longer sells this. I have tried to google for Hydraulic Trailer Jack but everything that comes up seems to be with electric pumps. Does anyone know of who originally made this jack for Northern Tool or of any similar jack?

jack.JPG

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #2  
If you find one let me know. I have always thought the hand crank jacks were hard to use. A hydraulic jack would be much easier. I wonder why they are not used more often? Maybe because they are more prone to catastrophic failure and dropping the trailer? I know there are electric trailer jacks but I have never considered one because of cost and the fear of it not working when I needed it leaving me in a bind.

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #3  
I know there are electric trailer jacks but I have never considered one because of cost and the fear of it not working when I needed it leaving me in a bind.

I was looking at electric jacks recently and at least one of them came with an auxilliary handle crank in case of power loss (eg dead battery).

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack
If you find one let me know. I have always thought the hand crank jacks were hard to use. A hydraulic jack would be much easier. I wonder why they are not used more often? Maybe because they are more prone to catastrophic failure and dropping the trailer? I know there are electric trailer jacks but I have never considered one because of cost and the fear of it not working when I needed it leaving me in a bind.

No luck so far. As I said I have one already and it is great. Super easy to jack up. 4x faster than cranking. Just wish I could find another one. As I remember it was a little expensive and maybe that's why Northern stop selling it. The trailer I want it for is a pontoon trailer and its very heavy and the crank jack is a bit hard to do and concerns me that its going to flip over one day because it seems pretty "rickety" by itself. It's more for my Dad who is getting older. We usually keep a cross tie section under it for safety but it's really a pain in the ***.

Greg

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #5  
When the tongue jack broke on Mom and Dad's old camper we bought a hydraulic tongue jack for it. It was quick and easy. I used to like to level the camper by getting the tongue high and just letting it drop slow and watching the bubble until it was level and tightening the valve down. It always leaked off a bit, but as it got older it got worse. To the point that it wouldn't hold more than a few hours. When Monica and I bought our new camper we took it out one time with the manual jack. I came home and ordered a Barker electric tongue jack. That was seven years ago has been flawless. It came with a handle to raise/lower in the event of power failure. Not needed it yet. I then bought a used Atwood for my utility trailer. It also came with a crank to raise and lower. I run it off the breakaway battery. No issues either until the breakaway battery finally died last year. Oh...I guess I did have one issue with it, buddy borrowed the trailer and left his tailgate down and crushed the plastic cover. He had to order several parts for it and had to have his tailgate fixed. It suffered way more damage than the jack.

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #6  
Northern Tool used to sell this jack and I bought one a few years ago and loved it. I would like to add one to a different trailer but it appears Northern Tool no longer sells this. I have tried to google for Hydraulic Trailer Jack but everything that comes up seems to be with electric pumps. Does anyone know of who originally made this jack for Northern Tool or of any similar jack?

View attachment 473856
One of these 3 Ton Super Heavy Duty Long Ram Hydraulic Flat Bottom Jack weld on some trailer mounts Trailer Jacks and Parts and.....

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #7  
That is such a good idea I dont' see why it's not more popular.

I was using a vermeer chipper the other day and it had a hydraulic jack but you had to start the machine to operate it. Made me think that a little 12v hydraulic power unit and a properly sized cylinder woudl be a slick setup.

/ Hydraulic Trailer Jack #8  
An electric screw type would be ideal especially one with a socket for a drill/impact driver.

Just a basic gearset and you provide the expensive part.